New hunter.

4ked Horn

Well here is the picture of my son and his first ground squirrel. We went out to the desert to shoot targets and found a hillside crawling with vermin so we took it upon ourselves to thin 'em out a touch. We tried talking him on to several nearby targets but he had a hard time seeing them. This poor critter was seen running and paused just a bit too long for my li'l buckaroo and his Li'l Buckaroo with its 16 inch micro grooved barrel and his fancy schmancy new scope. He beaned it shooting Winchester standard velocity HP ammo at a range of 21 yards.

First of many my friends, first of many. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (beaming with pride)

whistlepigforums.JPG

Notice the VHA patch on the knee. You know this picture is getting sent in for the members photos section. Couldn't have planned it better if I tried. I wonder if they will put it next to GGs 1877 yard photo if I ask them nicely.

Good shootin lil buckaroo!
I think they (VHA) might especially if you give the gun a catchy name like BOAG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
GG better watch out he has some competition.
Got some bad news though... the kid looks like you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Especially when looking at us through that crappy scope he has.

(jab, back at'cha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

I knew something looked familiar. Now if my kid could have killed something with that scope maybe I might have held on to it. Just kidding. It is perfect where its at. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

That is why I put that text block on the picture. I wanted you to see that it is being used and appreciated. And when this son moves on to a bigger gun the 3 year old will be using this gun and scope for a few years as well.

7RUM. We were doing "high fives" and "WOOHOOs" and it made the longer shots the adults were taking seem like no big deal. Which BTW, his old man (me) made a hit on a similar sized ground squirrel at 221 yards with the mini14. But this 21 yarder was MUCH more exciting.

I'll bet at 21 yards the crosshairs of that fancy scope probably hid the target.
Hope it works for a long time, I had no younger one to pass to and everything else is already scoped. Looks as if we made the right choice. I'm happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's what it's all about. We always say," The family that shoots varmints together stays together."

BTW thanks to whom ever gave it the stars. My son will be very happy when he sees this in the morning.

The way he keeps hitting your swingers and how he is at "bowling" it was only a matter of time before he got one. It won't be long before he is out shooting the both of us! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You should post the picture of his playground too.

4ed Horn

Your little ground squirrel shooter is going to get bigger as time goes by and is going to soon be needing a slightly larger gun. Say a really fast Ruger 204. Somebody will need to get it all ready for him by testing out bullets and powders on rock chucks. Then in a couple of more years he will need a sweet shooting antelope/deer gun, lets say a 6mm-06 or so and once again you will need to get it ready for him. This can go on for some time before your wife figures it out.

Oh yes I almost forgot , he will need a nice 20 guage Rem 11-87 and a fine inline muzzleloader.

You can spend lots of money on kids and have fun doing it. This is why most of "my" guns are 20 years old and all of the "new" guns are my son's.

4ked's wife will get a 20ga Benelli before the kid gets a shotgun!
She shoots too, so she would notice all these "test" guns, unless he can convince her that "she" needs the .204 (and others).
I think he has to ask permission to take out "her" mini-14 when he hunts coyotes. He has to check to see if she is going pheasant hunting before he can go duck hunting so he can have "his" shotgun back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Boy ain't that the truth. I'm in the process of making him a target style stock for the Li'l Buckaroo but I fear he might out grow it before it's done. But then comes the 3 year old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I sort of have plans on exactly what guns I'm buying and the rest are up to them. I own the Marlin and have been clear about that all along. I will buy each of the boys their first .22. I am thinking about matching 10/22 rifles. Sort of. I will buy a blued and a stainless one and start interchanging parts so they will be opposite alternating silver and blued and the other will be alternating blued and silver. Barrels, stock bands, scope rails, screws, rings, scopes. The whole 9 yards.

When they are old enough I will also do the same with a pair of Springfield 1911s.

Somewhere in there will be a (1) heavy bbl .223 to share and a 20 guage. These will be "hand me downs" until they grow out of them and buy something to their liking.

If I have my way we will all own identical .280AI long guns as I described elsewhere on this forum a day ago. But that is a ways out. No big rush there.

As far as the muzzleloader goes I'm surprized to hear they are still making those. Aren't those what the founding fathers used when arrows became obsolete. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mostly what I know is that it is starting to cost me money to have the boys shoot and it is just going to get worse.

But I love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.