New here, several questions

goose

First off, what a great site this is.....I've read and learned much already. I have several questions, most will go into specific topic areas. Here goes for the first one.

What would you suggest for a next purchase? A rangefinder, a chronograph, or reloading/ballistic software. I have reloading equipment and currently reload for 2 of the 3 rifles I shoot most. My goal for the short term is to develop one or two hunting loads for each rifle and become comfortable shooting out to 500 yards. I have a good bench and nice set up for shooting at 100, but nothing set up farther out. I'd be glad to give any more backround info if that would help.

Welcome to the site,

You will definitely need a chronograph to verify the quality of your reloads, without it, you really don't know how consistent your loads are.

A rangefinder is not needed until you start hunting. Shooting targets at distance can be done easily without a rangefinder.

There are some freeware / web-based ballistic programs available, but I'd be lost without my Exbal and Quickload.

Let us know more about your location and calibers.

Hope this helps,

AJ

goose,
Welcome aboard. AJ is pretty much spot on, as usual. He's one of the many here that can be trusted. Me, on the other hand.............:rolleyes:

The chronograph will most probably tell you what's going on with your 300 WSM and 4064, your other thread. The idea is to shoot as few barrel wearing shots as practicable to get to 'the' load that requires no further development for the life of the rifle. Said another way the chrono does away with a lot of tinkeritus.

I to recommend you hold off on the range finder. I'd put that money into the reloading part of the work. Things to check run out, over all length, etc..

As for ballistic sofware there's enough free stuff that is good that you shouldn't have to purchase any until you go beyond the 500/600 yard mark.

Google on "ballastics software" then try some. JBM is a great one. I'd point you to others but you may discover another that is unique and useful and point me in a better direction.

Get your loas quality improved through study of chrono data but do some down range shooting at the same time to check BCs etc....

Sounds like you'll be having some fun.

Keep us posted.

Location NW Minnesota

Calibers

.223 bushmaster varminter ar

6mm remington ruger m77

.300WSM browning a-bolt

goose,
Welcome aboard. AJ is pretty much spot on, as usual. He's one of the many here that can be trusted. Me, on the other hand.............:rolleyes:

The chronograph will most probably tell you what's going on with your 300 WSM and 4064, your other thread. The idea is to shoot as few barrel wearing shots as practicable to get to 'the' load that requires no further development for the life of the rifle. Said another way the chrono does away with a lot of tinkeritus.

I to recommend you hold off on the range finder. I'd put that money into the reloading part of the work. Things to check run out, over all length, etc..

As for ballistic sofware there's enough free stuff that is good that you shouldn't have to purchase any until you go beyond the 500/600 yard mark.

Google on "ballastics software" then try some. JBM is a great one. I'd point you to others but you may discover another that is unique and useful and point me in a better direction.

Get your loas quality improved through study of chrono data but do some down range shooting at the same time to check BCs etc....

Keep us posted.

More good advice !!! ( And roy can be trusted also )

The whole process takes time and needs to be taken one step at a time .

After getting your loads and accuracy down work on position and range .then get a range
finder to extend your ability and range.

But there is nothing like practice ( No free ride )

Good luck and have fun.

J E CUSTOM

goose,

Keep us posted.

As always the "Professor" as he is known here is spot on. The one thing that I have found to be very useful in long range 1K competitive shooting is to learn to judge the condition or wind. Let me be blunt and to the point (I usually am lol) at the goal distance you have stated of 500 yds this is a HUGE factor and cannot be underestimated. This is something that cannot be bought, built or learned overnight and is a skill that will enable you to overcome the biggest obstacle in long range shooting.

Just to put it into perspective you could give me your rifle and ammunition and I could give you mine and you would think ---- jezz this will be like taking candy from a baby but it would be just the opposite. Remember the wind is your friend so learn to use it. Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.