New here, hoping for advice

Cowboy & M Jager....

It was my wife's brother who passed, and we do appreciate the thoughts.

AS for the career thing, looks like you got a great start into some very interesting stuff. I hope you enjoy your work and have a long safe career. The college stuff you mentioned, well, it is a shame but it's the truth no less. Sometimes though, things are only what you make of them.

As to your choice of a new caliber, well there have been some great ones listed. Me personally, I went with the 26/06 for more of a combo rifle than anything else. With the newer powders and bullet weights, you can use one bullet to cover a lot more circumstances than in years gone by. The lighter bullets will get you some blistering velocities for the yotes your looking for and just a little step up and your into a decent 400yd deer rifle. My personal '06 I have shot just about all of the different bullet weights just to see how they would work under different conditions. I settled on the 115gr Partition as the main stay as it covered everything I needed in one load. I get velocities of 3150 from it, and groups of around 1/2" at 200 are for the most part standard. I have takens all sorts of varied critters with it as well as several nice deer out to 400yds. All dropped to the shot. THe hogs we take out every now and again with it are sometimes a little tougher to anchor, buut I have noticed this with everything we have busted them with so it is a non issue. The newer factory loadings for this caliber have proven to be just as if not more accurate than some of our best handloads, so that is another plus if your on a budget. Not that they are cheaper, but iif you know they will shoot it does make things a little easier sometimes. FOr powders I have used with the 100 - 120gr loads, generally anything from IMR-4350 at the fastest to RL-25 on the slow end have produced the best accuracy. With IMR-4831, H-4350, H-4831, & RL-22 producing the best.

With the bullets for varmints other than my standard load, I have used the 100gr BT, and the 100gr Sierra both worked out great but for deer the damage was a little to much for me. The 115's have also worked good in the BT, PT, X, and Berger VLD. THe latter is an awesome LR bullet for critters but somewhat destructive on deer. The others work well and the accuracy is there also.

Good luck on your choice, I am sure it wil suit your needs well.

MJager,
I was really impressed reading your resume. I had you pegged as an intelligent, responsible, articulate,ambitious, young adult.....until I came to the "I ride bulls" part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And being a trap shooter too, well it dont get no better than that!
(I used to shoot trap a little too, American and International)

All that said, I shoot a .257 WBY (among others) and can vouch for it very highly. That doesn't help your aversion to having something like your buddy though. I have an idea for you , talk to Kirby about his 25 Allen Express. That should do ya just fine. Seriously, good luck with your search for the suitable caliber and your soon to be graduation.
Good luck, good shooting, and God Bless.
Jim

MT4XFore,
How's riding bulls not evidence that I'm an upstanding citizen? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif One should should consider it proof that I have strong religious faith. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And articulate? You would be surpised at the interesting things I've said (or the noises I have made) when things turned ugly in the areana.

Oh, and I have to be honest- I prefer skeet to trap. The whole me going to Europe to the championships was a giant cluster*bad word* so it was fitting that I shot trap. But I had a good time and learned alot (Czech beer rocks) and thats what counts.

On the serious side.
To throw a twist in the mix. I have thought about having Mike Milli at dedicated technology build me a 25 WSSM upper for my AR. It would give up a little speed but the fast follow ups might make up for in on coyotes.

Right now I'm pretty much at a loss for what to pick. So many good cartridges that will do what I want that its hard to pick the "right" one for me. For some reason I am really stuck on the 6mm.06, short barrel life and all, which should tell you something. (Read, I'm young, I'm dumb, I'm hard headed)

Matt

MJager,
Ok, I can see that you would be an "upstanding citizen" (after you pick yourself up off the arena floor), and unique and colorful phrases uttered in the heat of battle are sometimes what make a person articulate. As for liking skeet over trap, well that goes along with the young, dumb and hardheaded bit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not too fond of the wssm family of cartridges, however, in an AR, that sounds like fun!!! Lots of reloading could be done there!!!! As for the 6/06, whatever floats your boat, have ball and enjoy. That's what makes all this so much fun, everyone has their own idea of what is "best", and if that's what you want, then by all means just "git er done"! Oh by the way, having shot while in the service of my country, I am intimately familiar with "cluster ****'s". In any case, I am sure that whatever you decide will be great.
Good shooting and good luck.

Jim
Hey, maybe you can get assigned to Montana, good place to work.

I just got my DTech 25wssm upper, and (have not shot it) but am EXTEMELY impressed. I am a personal friend of Mikes, and speak highly of his professionalism, and quiality of work. I highly recommend his rifles, and have seen first hand their preformance. he did my trigger, built my upper and is still a phne call away for any questions I have. Top notch outfit.

I've had a Dtech 25 wssm for a couple years, you won't be dissapointed.
as for intelligence, not sure, guess you could blame college, all that money to educate somebody and they never told him "not to climb up on 2000 pounds of bug eyed snot blowing bad attitude" I think a refund is in order! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
JS

M Jager,
A fast twist .243 is hard to beat: It's a good suggestion. The 105gr. A-Max has a BC. of .500 and are quite easy on the shoulder. If you want something that could handle a little more bullet weight, take a look at the 260 Remington. Or, if you want something sexier, the 6.5-08 AI is another way to go (my next toy).

6.5-08 AI

Here a two links every Savage owner should know about.

Savage shooter's forum (Go the forum section).

Sharp Shooters Supply (Everything for Savages).

Good luck on your decision.

(Edit: Link added)

TAC

Well you got more balls then i do. I have lived and worked on and around ranches all my life and bulls scare the (fill in your explitive) out of me.

As for college same here. Most students are aarigant little Sh--s. I go to Gonzaga on a ROTC scholarship and many of the students here have been fed and still are fed off a silver spoon. I know what you mean but you might as well try to get as much as you can out of it.

No enough with the bs ing i havnt seen it recomended and though i have never shot one a buddy back home (some 20 years older then me) swears by his 257 roberts. It might be a caliber to look into.

Just my two cents
Good luck and God bless

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts