New here and would like some help finalizing a rifle

Kcco

hey all, I'm set on a Montana x3 as my new elk gun as I've always been a big model 70 fan, my question is .300 win, .300 rum or .30 nosler? I'm a reloaded but have no problem shooting a factory load if it works, I know the velocity advantages of the latter make it very attractive when buying but I've never known anyone with a controlled round feed rifle that was chambered in a rebated rim cartridge. Has anyone had feeding or extraction issues with such a combo? I do shoot longer ranges but I will try to keep my shots at game under 600, also I would like to shoot lead free if at all possible. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

Given the shorter magazine length of the M70, I would go with the .30 Nosler. The performance is in between the .300WM and .300 RUM, but it is a shorter/fatter cartridge than the other 2, so it would fit in the magazine box better.

hey all, I'm set on a Montana x3 as my new elk gun as I've always been a big model 70 fan, my question is .300 win, .300 rum or .30 nosler? I'm a reloaded but have no problem shooting a factory load if it works, I know the velocity advantages of the latter make it very attractive when buying but I've never known anyone with a controlled round feed rifle that was chambered in a rebated rim cartridge. Has anyone had feeding or extraction issues with such a combo? I do shoot longer ranges but I will try to keep my shots at game under 600, also I would like to shoot lead free if at all possible. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

Do not complicate things unnecessarily, pick one and go for it. At 600 yards, with the right load the elk will not know the difference. The .300 WM remains my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. I harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yard with a .300 WM; load the MT built rifle with a MT made Hammer Bullets (https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-181g-hammer-hunter/) and you're golden. "IF" you're going beyond that, I would go with the .300 RUM out of your choices.

Last edited:
@FEENIX
I found it informative. I wanted to make sure I wasn't skipping out on better performance by keeping my chambering in .300 WM with my old rebuild. Figured the OP would find good use of this information.

Agreed! The OP need to synthesize what is being presented to him. I know what you mean, have three .300 WM, a .300 WSM, and .30 LARA (.300 Jarrett Improved).

I would vote for the 300 RUM. The WM and it's antique and useless belt compared to the RUM puts the RUM way ahead. Not to mention that if necessary, the RUM will out run both of them. I don't have any personal experience with the Nosler round but if I can get a bit more out another cartridge, I'm going for it in most cases. If you're bothered by the RUM recoil, it can always be loaded down to the same numbers as the other two but the possibility of maxing it out always remains. I've had case life issues while reloading for my step-dads 300 WM and my own .338 WM, while reloading for a buddies .300 RUM I got excellent case life, even without annealing. I have some cases that were loaded 15 times during load development, which is pretty hard to beat!
Bottom line, however, go with what you like the most, or think is the prettiest, essentially there isn't a really significant difference between the three!
Cheers,
crkckr

With questions like these, it is always a matter of going with "tried and true" with tons of components available and likely to be available for years and years down the line (.300 Win Mag) vs. new/sexy/more powerful (.300 RUM & .30 Nosler.)

For a match or target rifle, then get whatever. But if it is HUNTING rifle, I always lean toward the more 'common' caliber as you can find it in stores more easily than the more 'esoteric' rounds. For example, you draw an elk tag and are in Walden, CO. You somehow lost your ammo. It WAS in the truck, but must have fallen out when you opened your door, but you've been in and out of your truck many times, so where it departed is anyone's guess. Now you have to get more ammo.

Walden has one hardware store. You go there. No .300 RUM on the shelf. No .30 Nosler on the shelf. But there is .300 Win Mag sitting there because it has been around 'forever' and is very popular. The hunt is 'saved'. That can be priceless.

Hey, just something to think about. Whatever round makes you happiest is the one to get. It's YOUR gun. You need to love it.

.300WM , no brainer , It's within the parameters you've called out for, Extend your case life and check out a Larry Willis magnum case collett sizing die, innovative technologies, I run two .300WM's and never wished for more.

I have a .300 RUM and it will perform, gonna be loading mine with some Hammers this year. I am also very familiar with the .300 WinMag, we fired over 25,000 rounds during class in the last month. It is one of my favorite all around/purpose cartridges. We push it out past 1200 meters on a regular basis. For what you want, I would choose it all day long.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.