New Handloader Need To Recommend a Basic How To Manual

I've been handloading for over 50 years now but a friend of mine who is a very accomplished hunter is insistent that he wants to become a handloader.

He doesn't seem to understand that he's entering a world that has almost nothing to do with his extensive outdoors and hunting experience and how technical and dangerous it can become.

I'd like to buy him a manual that takes the raw beginner from knowing nothing at all about handloading to giving him a pretty good understanding about handloading. The finer points can only be learned by spending hundreds if not thousands of hours and IMO those finer points are better learned on forums.

So... Does anyone have any knowledge of a good manual for beginners?
I'd buy him the Lyman manual, I have the 50th edition and it has everything, it explains how to reload, safety, watching for pressure signs and even has data for shooting lead cast bullets.

I've been handloading for over 50 years now but a friend of mine who is a very accomplished hunter is insistent that he wants to become a handloader.

He doesn't seem to understand that he's entering a world that has almost nothing to do with his extensive outdoors and hunting experience and how technical and dangerous it can become.

I'd like to buy him a manual that takes the raw beginner from knowing nothing at all about handloading to giving him a pretty good understanding about handloading. The finer points can only be learned by spending hundreds if not thousands of hours and IMO those finer points are better learned on forums.

Several of the brand name manuals will have good foundations: Berger, Sierra, Hornady etc. A good DVD is Advanced Handloading Beyond the basics with John Barsness. Top Grade Ammo by Glen Zediker covers step by step handloading from start to finish. He covers bolt action and semi-auto handloading. Your friend can't go wrong with it.

Have him look at this guys videos too

I was reading through my new Sierra manual today and it would be a great resource if he reads it all
The sierra Infinity program is great also, if he likes computers

1610891990476.png

Are these the same book, because the listed author is different:

You may find they are just consecutive editions of the same book, in which case there is likely a lot of overlap. I think those are not the authors, but rather the editors. The individual chapters are probably written by other authors. Typically the basics will be very similar from one edition to the next, but there will be different "specialty" chapters.

My only beef with Lyman #50 is there's little to nothing in it about mololithic bullets, but I'm not sure if any of the other manuals not written by bullet manufacturers have anything in them, either.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.