New Handloader Need To Recommend a Basic How To Manual

LDHunter

I've been handloading for over 50 years now but a friend of mine who is a very accomplished hunter is insistent that he wants to become a handloader.

He doesn't seem to understand that he's entering a world that has almost nothing to do with his extensive outdoors and hunting experience and how technical and dangerous it can become.

I'd like to buy him a manual that takes the raw beginner from knowing nothing at all about handloading to giving him a pretty good understanding about handloading. The finer points can only be learned by spending hundreds if not thousands of hours and IMO those finer points are better learned on forums.

So... Does anyone have any knowledge of a good manual for beginners?

Does he like beer? Tell him you will teach him some. Have him bring his favorite. When he gets there, have him put it in the fridge. "Drinking and reloading is dumber than drinking and driving."

Lots of good reloading videos. I hear the book @Tripodmvr7 suggested, The ABCs of Reloading, is very good. The first 30 or so pages of most reloading books should be good too.

I like the Lyman manual that was given to me for Christmas, but I also read the older Hornady manual (4th edition), The ABC's of Reloading and The Complete Handloader, all of which can be found on the web. They all seem to have pretty much the same information about how technical it can get and all of the safety precautions one needs to take.

Two books with the same title, but different editions and listed authors. So when "The ABC;s of Reloading" is recommended, which book is the one being recommended? Do we go by Edition, author, or?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.