New hand primer

klemm

Need a new hand primer,my old lee hand primer will not fit 338 Lapua magnum. The housing in the handle is too small. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I use the RCBS hand priming tool.
You have to put your shell holder on the machine, load the primer tray, put the tray on the hand press and watch TV while you prime thousands of brass.

I wish I had learned about this tool, I really get tired of priming brass on my press.

There are many good units out there but the RCBS works the best for me.

I am not on my computer and I don't know how to copy and paste on this one. Pretty sad huh?

Heard good things about the rcbs.
I really liked my lee, had no problems with it. Heard mixed reviews about the new ones.

If you buy the RCBS hand primer they work great. I suggest you buy another shell holder for standard caliber like 223, 30-06. Mag size shell holders. and any special calibers you load. When working on small lots of cases when load developing. It is not handy to change the shell holder just to prime 10 cases and then move it back to press for bullet seating. Good Luck with a new hand primer.

I've got the universal RCBS hand primers. One for large and one for small. They work great. No shell holders to mess with.

My hands are all screwed up due to severe arthritis.
The only hand primer I can operate easily is the RCBS. It has a cam action to it and it makes feeling the primers very easy to me. Like mentioned before, the only fall back is having to change the shell holders for different calibers. I would still buy another one though.

I have 3 rcbs hand held they r good. but I got the sinclair one for Christmas and that is the only one that I use. it is very smooth. And u can set it to be very consistent. You will never won't anything else

I have both the regular RCBS and the universal RCBS. The later is the only way to go (wish I had bought that one first). As was stated you don't need to mess with any shell holders. Just snap the case into the holder and squeeze. I prime everything with the tool from 223 Rem to 338 RUM. When switching form small rifle to large rifle you do need to swap out the stem that drives the primer but that takes maybe 30 seconds so no big deal.

I don't have a K & M primer seating gauge but I know they make nice stuff. If anyone has one I would be interested to hear about them.

I have the K&M Primer Deluxe hand held priming tool. It's a nice tool. Tough as an anvil. Allows one to feel the primers bottoming out in the primer pockets. Mine doesn't have the dial gauge. The tool with the dial gauge doubles the cost of the K&M tool.

Here's a couple links to informative articles on hand priming tools. The Sinclair and the K&M are regarded as the creme of the crop.

K&M vs Sinclair Primer hand press - The Firing Line Forums

The Rifleman's Journal: Primers: Seating Pressure and Pre-Compression

I have the K&M Primer Deluxe hand held priming tool. It's a nice tool. Tough as an anvil. Allows one to feel the primers bottoming out in the primer pockets. Mine doesn't have the dial gauge. The tool with the dial gauge doubles the cost of the K&M tool.

Here's a couple links to informative articles on hand priming tools. The Sinclair and the K&M are regarded as the creme of the crop.

K&M vs Sinclair Primer hand press - The Firing Line Forums

The Rifleman's Journal: Primers: Seating Pressure and Pre-Compression
Sinclair. Cry once. No other priming tool has a better feel of the primer anvil touching the bottom of the primer pocket IMHO. And don't worry about the primer /skin oil thing . You would have to put motor oil on your hands and not wash before you affected a primer. If you are still worried . Wash your hands before priming. It takes about a 1/2 hour before the skin oil comes back. Plus IF you have a primer detonate. Only ONE primer detonates ! Not possibly the whole tray.

I prefer the 21st century primer tool, to me it has the best feel, and you can get one that takes the Lee square trays which IMHO is the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts