New Hammer Monolithic Bullets

Does it perform like a Barnes?

I have not tried them YET but that being said I have tried Barnes and have never been really impressed with them. Several pencil through and just not enough shock factor. Now once I finally saw a design I liked the CEB raptor I gave them a whirl. Gotta say wow the expansion and internal damage is very close to lead bt. But you get the added benefit of the solid base tracking straight through. I was able to put down 4 pigs with one bullet out of my .458 socom all pigs about 80 to100 lbs. petals took out the first one and ended in the second pig. The base traveled through the last two and out the other side. Shot was about 20 yards away with about 1 foot between pigs.
Hammer has the same idea of function tip explodes and base travels through if I'm correct. Imo much better than a Barnes mushroom as you get best of both world. I'm a huge fan of lead bullets but these new design monos are turning me quick. Can't wait to test the hammers soon. Just need to decide on the caliber.
Man this is my favorite part of hunting testing terminal balistics. Get me semi chubed.

I have not tried them YET but that being said I have tried Barnes and have never been really impressed with them. Several pencil through and just not enough shock factor. Now once I finally saw a design I liked the CEB raptor I gave them a whirl. Gotta say wow the expansion and internal damage is very close to lead bt. But you get the added benefit of the solid base tracking straight through. I was able to put down 4 pigs with one bullet out of my .458 socom all pigs about 80 to100 lbs. petals took out the first one and ended in the second pig. The base traveled through the last two and out the other side. Shot was about 20 yards away with about 1 foot between pigs.
Hammer has the same idea of function tip explodes and base travels through if I'm correct. Imo much better than a Barnes mushroom as you get best of both world. I'm a huge fan of lead bullets but these new design monos are turning me quick. Can't wait to test the hammers soon. Just need to decide on the caliber.
Man this is my favorite part of hunting testing terminal balistics. Get me semi chubed.

Ok Chub, :D:D:D

I had to stop laughing before I could type, and now I can't remember what I was going to say....oh yea. We just reloaded our web site with 50 qty boxes in all the cals that were 100 qty so it doesn't seem like such a big deal to try a new bullet. Now you can try them in several cals. :)gun)

Steve

Steve am I on point with my assessment of your bullet? It is separate function of Barnes. Barnes petal into a mushroom and I believe yours loose the petals and rotate out causing more shock damaged. I just wanna be sure I understand them correctly. Looking for this stuff is how I found CEB. I'm a huge fan of the raptor but they have pretty low BC. They do have other bullets but I have yet to try them. I'm lovin all these new bullets coming out. It's gonna be hard for me to not use your bullets as you have been so active and helpful. If they work at all you will have a great future.

Steve am I on point with my assessment of your bullet? It is separate function of Barnes. Barnes petal into a mushroom and I believe yours loose the petals and rotate out causing more shock damaged. I just wanna be sure I understand them correctly. Looking for this stuff is how I found CEB. I'm a huge fan of the raptor but they have pretty low BC. They do have other bullets but I have yet to try them. I'm lovin all these new bullets coming out. It's gonna be hard for me to not use your bullets as you have been so active and helpful. If they work at all you will have a great future.

You are spot on. The nose comes of in a few pieces down to the depth of the hole. The nose pieces generally stay large enough to cause a fair bit of damage themselves.

I am very happy with how our design works. I am biased, but we have one goal, to make the best bullet possible. I think it is going quite well. We will always look for ways to get better.

Steve

The mono bullets I've tried have all seemed to reach max pressure quickly and sometimes unexpectedly in my rifles just curious if the Hammer is like that also?

Steve is a great guy. All made in the USA. They shoot great. Now to try them on deer. Hammers have my vote for non lead.

The mono bullets I've tried have all seemed to reach max pressure quickly and sometimes unexpectedly in my rifles just curious if the Hammer is like that also?
No the patented design on the baring surface, parabolic drag reduction, (PDR) keeps the pressure lower and predictable. Because of the radius design we are able to seal the bore without creating high pressure. This has always been the problem with mono bullets and we solved it.

Way to dig up an old post! We have improved our terminal performance since this thread. Have a custom alloy that does exactly what we want at all velocities.

Steve

No the patented design on the baring surface, parabolic drag reduction, (PDR) keeps the pressure lower and predictable. Because of the radius design we are able to seal the bore without creating high pressure. This has always been the problem with mono bullets and we solved it.

Way to dig up an old post! We have improved our terminal performance since this thread. Have a custom alloy that does exactly what we want at all velocities.

Steve
Funny I wasn't looking at the date just wanted more info.
I have recently received a new to me used 300wm and looking for new bullets and loads to try in it.

Assuming it is a 10" twist barrel and you are looking to stretch your range beyond 500y, your best bet well be the 181g Hammer Hunter. You should see 3100fps give our take and be effective to around 1000y.

Steve

You have to keep in mind that any of the mono's are going to be 10% or more longer than a lead core bullet of the same weight. That means you're going to have substantially more contact between the bullet and the bore due to the increased bearing surface unless they are relieved with drive bands or have an extremely long ogive.

You may also be running into problems with excess copper build up in your barrel which definitely needs to be managed. You may also need to have it scoped and make sure you haven't built up a carbon deposit in the first 3-9" of the bore. Both of these can lead to pressures spiking in a hurry.

morning, barnes bullets r very good bullets. all hunting bullets
have their problems. accuracy comes FIRST. justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.