New Guy Questions

sdeshazo

Ok I'm thinking I've got somthing set wrong in my Exbal software but I'm not sure where, here is the deal.
I'm ringing the steel out to 600 but I have to ajust twice what my balistic tables are telling me. I'm shooting a 300 Wby Mag with a 5.5x22x56 Night Force with the NPR1 reticle. Gun is averaging about 3145 FPS shooting a 185 Berger VLD. I'm zeroed at 250 yards.
So my table is telling me to ajust 33.00 IPHY or hold on (even bar) Four for a 600 yard shot.
Well I hold on my Eight bar & I'm drilling the steel...

I've been shooting for years but new to longrange shooting so I'm sure this is probaly somthing I'm missing or just set up wrong in my software, any ideas?

Thanks,
Shawn

I'm not familiar with that scope but I think to use the elevation marks for hold over you have to set the scope at a particular power for the calculations in Exbal to be correct if the reticle is in the second plane.

When everything else fails dig out the User Manuals. :)

I'm not familiar with that scope but I think to use the elevation marks for hold over you have to set the scope at a particular power for the calculations in Exbal to be correct if the reticle is in the second plane.
:)

Wa-Bam! Nailed it!

That or you need to check to make sure you have the correct reticle...

Last edited:
There is an "R" on the magnification scale and you need to be on that setting for the scale to work.
Also make sure you entered the R1 reticle and not the R2. The R2 is 2 moa per line.

Guys thanks for all the help. As for the maginafication yea I checked that & its set at 22 power, both the scope & software.
I double checked the recticle & believe I've got it set right. In Exbal you pick the recticle & I chose the NPR1 (Even) so basically I'm using my 2 MOA larger bars like a NPR2. My thought on this was if I picked the wrong recticle I'd be making 1/2 the modifications not twice as much.

Its not only the elevation bars that are off I also have to correct my "clicks" twice as much.

On my sight in adjustment, should I have it set with "IPHY" Inch per hundred yards?

This has got me very interested and I got the same numbers as you but they are wrong, I also would like to know why?
I read the manual and everything is MOA but that is not going to explain that large of error if you were doing it in IPHY, the manual says that 22x is the accurate power to be on so that is right.
It seems you actually holding 16MOA to hit and your having to dial double is not cool, this seems like one of those problems that has a to simple solution that's getting over looked. Someone will figure it out.:rolleyes:

I hope this will help. That scope operates in MOA and 0.250 moa per click; each line is equal to 1 moa. 4 large lines, as stated above, equals 8 moa.

2co4coi.jpg

With this load zero'd @ 250 yds, your drop in inches to 600 yds will be 50 inches give or take depending on your sight height, temp etc. This works out to 8 MOA (7.96). On the NP-R1 reticle this would be the 4th large cross hatch. Maybe this is what it means?

Mark

Eaglet, how do you get those LB screen shots up? I got the exact same thing you did but could not get it posted up through photobucket.
The OP states he's making hits on target when he is holding on the 8th large bar which should put him @ 16MOA and he is having to double his correction on the turrets also which means its not just a reticle hold issue.
Everyone is coming up with the same correction with different software so it seems there it may not be software inputs that are to blame, leaving what? Wrong range?

The OP states he's making hits on target when he is holding on the 8th large bar which should put him @ 16MOA and he is having to double his correction on the turrets also which means its not just a reticle hold issue.

I believe he said "8th bar", not "large bar". And he also said....

...or hold on (even bar) Four ...

which makes me think that "even bar" means the large bar, which would correspond to the correct 8 MOA.

Eaglet, how do you get those LB screen shots up? I got the exact same thing you did but could not get it posted up through photobucket.

bigngreen, try using www.tinypic.com

Once you have on the computer screen what you want, hit the PrtScrn button on your keyboard, paste it on you Paint application from windows, crop it to your specs, save it and then in the above link hit the "Browse..." button, look for the file in your computer, click OK and in tinypic.com click "UPLOAD NOW", in the page the appears click on the second yellow line it will high light and also will automatically copy the content into the clipboard. Go to the screen where you post in longrangehunting and just do Ctrl and "v" on you keyboard and it will paste it there... when you preview you should be able to see it. :)

The 8th bar and the 4th large bar are the same bar so he would have the same POI thus he would not hit steel on the 8th bar either, unless he was using 4th large and 8th large, in his second post he says he's using the 2MOA bars. His table being 33 IPHY is of by 50% ish so there is one clue to bad software input issue. Or am I confusing myself?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.