New guy, please help with stock fitment.

millerjq

New guy to the forum, looking for some help!

Ok, so the sum of the story, (I'll post the story below) I got a new stock in from redhawk rifles, and it doesn't fit properly. The barrel makes contact with the right side of the barrel channel, almost as if the stock is twisted. I looks plenty straight, but when you seat the action it kind of sets it to the right. Can someone with some know how please tell me how I can fix this?!

The long story, if you're interested. I bought a Savage model 12, heavy barrel, custom muzzle break chambered in 270 WSM. (Don't hate on the catridge, it is of no relevance to this topic) I had a B&C tactical style stock on it, forget the exact model, bedded the recoil lug, it shoots like a dream. Put 5 rounds in a 1.2 inch group at 200 yards, which is plenty good for me. But.. I didn't like the black and stainless. So.

I took the rifle, scope, etc. to a guy who's been cerakoting for years to have it redone. He redid a Sig 229 for me before and did an awesome job on it. I go back 4-5 weeks later (he told me it would be done in 2-3 weeks, so I was already upset) and he has done the barrel and action done in the wrong color. Looks at the invoice and apologizes several time, saying he didn't know why it was done in the wrong color when the invoice clearly stated otherwise.

Either way, he does a good job on the finish, but after baking it, the stock cracked in many places and was flaking off (bad prep, I'd guess) so now it's the wrong color and a horrible job, but I needed it back for the upcoming hunt. So I took it, got home and tried loading a round to make sure she cycles ok. This fool put the bolt head on backwards, so it's trying to eject the other way. Obviously this doesn't work..

I call him about it, he says I can bring it by and he'll fix it. I tell him it's not hard, I'll do it, but that's not the point. You guys put it together wrong, after all the other issues already. Wth? He apologizes, yada yada yada. So I got me a nice 4x4 muley out on the mountain, and came back to get it refinished the right way this time. He owes me a nicely finished rifle after the $420 I already shelled out to him, so this time the labor and cerakote is on him.

I ordered another stock, exact same, aluminum bedding block B&C from redhawk rifles. Stock comes in, I bolt it to the action, and the barrel is way off center. Rides down the right side, but with a little force I can hold the barrel centered and floating like it should be. The guy redoing the finish says "it's fine, they usually need a little fitment, and we will get it fitting like it's supposed to." Here I thought they were straight drop in stocks, but I took his word for it.

And after another 5 weeks (again, he told me 2-3 weeks) he tells me B&C changed their stock material and they can no longer heat cure cerakote them. Good, maybe this one wont crack, he is using air cure. I tell him that's fine, BUT, he sandblasted it and put tiny little holes in several places.. Guess he doesn't really know what he is doing.. And little did I know, the matte air cure has a more satin finish than the matte oven cure. I get it back and now the scope and scope rings, action and barrel are matte, while the stock is a little glossy.

By this time I'm heated, as I've got over $600 in trying to get this refinished by this guy. I figure, ok, I can get some clear coat and at least make the scope match (haven't yet) But I really don't feel like taking it back to him. So I start to put the rifle back together. Low and behold, he forgot to fit the stock..

So here I am, decent but mismatched finish and a stock that still does not fit. The only thing I want to take to this guy is a swift buttstroke to the jaw with the old shotgun with the metal buttplate, and demand a refund. However, I wont, but I do need help on how to get this stock fitted properly.

I just read the long story, and I have a question.

Does the action and barrel go into the old stock without any troubles? Is it straight in that like it was before?

Just want to make sure, with all of the things that this guy did, want to make sure that he did not bend the barrel in any way.

Now if that is correct, there are a few things that you can do to help make the stock and barrel be centered. A Dremel with different bits will help. Check around the recoil lug, is anything holding it up there like bedding material or any extra material? If so, remove the bedding and rebed the lug.

Check around the tang. Is it bedded in this area? Does it look even when you look at if from side to side? This area might need some cleaning up too.

When you go to do the bedding, run tape around the barrel near the end of the stock to help it stay centered.

Some other might have some better ideas, these are the areas I would look at first.

I just did this on my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. The barrel was to the right side and just touching the end. I found that the bedding in the tang area was off center and the recoil lug was also off. I removed all of that and re-did everything. Since mine is in wood, I also pillar bedded too.

It does fit perfectly in the old stock. And I've looked down into the action area, it's brand new and clean as can be, but something is definitely off. Thanks for the advice. I think I will try some tape or something to hold the barrel in the center, and Dremel it out some and Rebed it. Problem is, it's an aluminum bedding block, so I don't know how much I'll be able to do. I though about doing that, or fully glass bedding the barrel and action, but wanted some info from some more experienced people before I tackle anything.
Thanks again.

I do understand. The guys here have some great knowledge on things. Hopefully some of them will give some tips on this. At least a few good smiths help out here, they can help set things straight on some other things to check too.

I know that the aluminum bedding blocks can be a bit hard to change. I am a bit of a novice on some of these things too.

Hope it works out for you.

Miller, perhaps you could post some pics of the inlet ting on the stock in question. The pics could help in giving you some info to remedy your problem.

Sure, I'll try to load a couple of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 99
For the action area, does the action and stock have an even amount of space sperating them? Do you have any of the tang area?

Miller, I'm guessing the stock can't be sent back since they'll say it was altered, as Black67 suggested Dremel the lug area opening and about 2" in front of it. The tape around the barrel at the front of the stock will center the barrel in the channel. Not too much tape, just enough so the tape touches both sides of the channel. Check the full length of the inletting for fit. The tang area may need some relief, be very careful. Use candle soot on the action to check. The consensus is not to bed the tang on a Savage, but there are spots forward which you can bed. Check vertical alignment of the action and stock. A caution when epoxy bedding the lug area on Savages is the barrel nut splines need to be filled with modeling clay so the action isn't mechanically bonded to the stock. Work slowly, remove small amounts, don't hurry. There are lots of how-to videos on bedding, here and You Tube. Good luck

Thanks, I will do this. I have a decent dremel and have bedded the action of a Ruger M77. So I think I can do this. Thanks for the tips and encouragement. Just kinda scared to mess up my baby, but I'll tackle it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.