New guy in Hubbard, OR

Ackleyman

Hi guys. I am new to long range hunting (pretty new to hunting in general to be honest.) I have been reloading with my two sons for almost two yrs now, and truly believe everyone should be burning powder they loaded themselves! It has definitely taking our love of shooting to the next level. I found your forum when I was looking for info on using a LA Rem 721 to build a nice shooting 280 Ackley on. I like the thought of having 7mag performance without the 7mag thump on my shoulder!

We reload for our 7.62x51 AR, CZ 521 chambered in .223, and 700 BDL chambered in .243 and a couple handgun cartridges too.....

Regarding my 280 build. Does anyone think I should use anything other than a 24" barrel? I plan on using a brake which is probably going to be 2.5 to 3", so I am hesitant to use a 26" barrel (would be getting pretty long huh???)

I want to be able to long range hunt, and also shoot off a bench with the same stock. Any advice in that department?

I want to have the action blueprinted and chamber cut by someone in the NW, preferably, close to PDX. Any help steering me to a reputable action/barrel guy would be most appreciated!

Thanks guys! I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.