new guy here

ven

hello everyone have been browsing this site for a while now think its great so much imformation.
anyway i live in the far north of scotland and hunt deer crows and foxses .i am currently shooting a cooper 6mmppc that i love for its accuaracy but we dont get great weather in this corner of the world and i find it very hard to hit targets consistently at long range because of the wind.
so i am looking to get a 308 as my first long range hunting rifle .i am on a budget of under £1400 and so far really like the look of the remington vsf has anone any experience with this rifle or could anyone suggest another rifle in this price baracket.thanks alot

The Remingtons are great rifles but also keep the Savages in mind. The Savages cost less and are probably the most accurate out of the box factory rifle. I have 10 Savages, mostly in small varmit caliburs(for praire dogs) and they all shot great right out of the box. I also have several Remingtons in the Sendero rifle and love them equally, but if I were on a budget, and wanted to get the most for my money, I would probably pick a Savage, and spend the money I saved on a better scope. Just my 2 cents.

RidgeRooster

Hi Roe, I'm new here too. I have recently bought a remmy LVSF in .308 and find it very good indeed at ranges up to 250yds, haven't had call to use it any further yet.
For several years I have been using a Remmy VLS in .243, this came with a 26" hvy barrel so I cut off 4" and got it threaded for a T8 sound moderator. Now this I can recommend for accuracy, again only out to 250yds but there is very little I miss with that. The only reason I got the LVSF in .308 was because It is lighter and I thought a .308 would cover all the quarry I have access to so may be able use one rifle.
Good luck with your decision but Remmys are KING in my book.

Crikey, I've just taken note of the dates of the previous posts - Roe has probably made his decision, bought his rifle and wore it out by now! anyway like I said, I'm new here so be kind to me!

hi
personally for the cash you are talking i could build you a very good long range tool. well long range for us in the UK anyway.
i am putting together custom rigs for about £1800 £2000 depending on speck. Lawton or a stiller predator action and a loather barrel and so on. but if your budget is for scope and the lot then we are not playing in the same ball park. if not then for a few more £ you can have a rifle built to your specks within reason.
i will be ordering a few actions (Lawton) in the next week or 2 so shoot me a email if you are interested
[email protected]

thanks
Colin

Happy New Year to you all.
Welcome to the fold roe.
I would look for a Winchester Stealth in 308,Put some good glass on it ,And it will do every thing you want.
Look to reload for the 308.Many excellent 30 caliber rounds available for all applications.No shortage of information on this forum.
Good luck

Hi Eddy, Hi Roe and welcome.
Eddy,
I think you may be refering to the date printed under the members name, this date is when the member registered on the site.
The date of the post is in the title bar directly above the post itself.
Roe,
Does your budget include scope and mounts etc?
If not i would recccomend a Sako stainless varmint but if your budget does include optics then a Remmy is the way to go and you will still have enough for some quality glass.

Ian.

PS. If you like the Cooper why not another one of them and easily within your budget.

Well im pretty new to this stuff also Roe... to tell the truth I dont even know what glass is.

So guys, what is glass? Why do you keep mentioning it?

Thanks.

Hi Centre Punch,
Yes you are correct (what a dick head I am). If Roe is still searching for Info I can recommend the Remmy 700 LVSF which comes with a Bell and Carlson Pillar Bedded stock. I have one in .308 and can't fault it, the only thing I did was change the stock for a pillar bedded Laminated Bdl stock because I like the Bdl as opposed to the Adl and I had all the fittings and a Laminated stock I liked the look of.
A BDS trainer was watching me about to zero some Winchester 180 grn round nose ammo on the range one day and said the barrel was too short to stabilise such a long round, I just grinned and put three rounds in 1/2" group at 100yds, corrected the 'scope , put another three in quick succesion, not such a tight group but good enough for what I wanted at the time and packed up and went home. Flat base bullets tend to stabilise at shorter ranges than boat tail I find !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanks for all the replys made me feel very welcome .im afraid my budget for both gun and scope is £1400 so the remington vsf is looking like the most likely have read a bit about it and it seems to have a good reputaion i also really like the look of it.col48 thanks for the offer but im afraid i could not aford one of your guns but maybe some time in the future when i start my new job.

hi roe
£1400 should get you a nice bit of kit to do the job well.
i have heard good things about the howa as well as the ones that have all ready been mentioned.

what kind of distance are we talking, and is it going to be a carry rifle IE stalking or target or what.

if i was going to have a factory stick i would factor in to your price a new crown and a bedding job, as this will be cash well spent. your new crown should not cost any more than £45 and should be less than that, bedding seems to be about £100 to £160 but i would not pay any more than £140 for it. a trigger tweak might all so be required.

hope this is of some help, but first thing i would do is see how she shoots first then take it from there but try to save a bit for the above.
if you go for new scope then i may be able to save you a few £ if i can/ it depends on what make you go for.send me a email if i can help you out i will

best of luck with your choice

Colin

col48 the rifle would be used for target and vermin shooing out to about 600 yards deer stalking also but at less distance the part of scotland i live in is very flat and long shots when hutnig can often be the only choice at times also just like the the challenge of being able to hit hoodie crows at long disance.
can you reccommend a good scope for this use i currently have a 6 to 20 by 50 leopuld with varmint hunters reticule on my 6mmppc and really like that.thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts