New guy here introducing myself.

N10sivern

I've been lurking for a little while and recently signed up for an account. Traded my Tikka in 7mm mag for an AR15 recently so I had to order a new rifle. Ordered a 458 Socom upper for the AR15 2 weeks ago (gonna be my hog rifle). Today I ordered a Tikka in 300 WSM and a Zeiss 4.5-14x50 with a Rapid Z 800 reticle. I was originally gonna get a Sako, but decided to go Tikka again and use the extra money to get a 6.5 Grendel upper down the road. I also ordered a TC Venture in 7mm-08 for my wife. Can't wait to get everything in and start working up loads for them on my new press, a Forster Co-Ax. I know the Tikka will be a shooter, but anxious to see if the Venture will be.

I've been lurking for a little while and recently signed up for an account. Traded my Tikka in 7mm mag for an AR15 recently so I had to order a new rifle. Ordered a 458 Socom upper for the AR15 2 weeks ago (gonna be my hog rifle). Today I ordered a Tikka in 300 WSM and a Zeiss 4.5-14x50 with a Rapid Z 800 reticle. I was originally gonna get a Sako, but decided to go Tikka again and use the extra money to get a 6.5 Grendel upper down the road. I also ordered a TC Venture in 7mm-08 for my wife. Can't wait to get everything in and start working up loads for them on my new press, a Forster Co-Ax. I know the Tikka will be a shooter, but anxious to see if the Venture will be.
Welcome, pull up a stump and hang around. You're only a stranger once... .gun)

Sounds like you are jumping in with both feet!........Rich

Nah, I've been shooting some distances for a while. Our property has a field that's 1100 yards long and 100-150 yards wide. Lots of hogs that I have no problem taking a shot at. Matter of fact, they just destroyed 13 acres of newly planted soybeans in that field. My dad saw over 50 in the field at 9:30 in the morning a couple of days ago.

I've been using a 45-70 and Ithaca pump 12 gauge for close shots on hogs and my bushmaster predator and tikka 7 mag for long shots. I promised to trade my 7 mag for the bushmaster predator to my father in law a while back, but never technically traded up until he asked for my 7 mag a few months ago.

That's what led me here when I was researching rifles for my new killer. Had my heart set on a sako grey wolf or finnlight, but decided to go tikka again. Looking forward to buying a couple new ar15 lowers and a 6.5 Grendel with the money saved.

Nah, I've been shooting some distances for a while. Our property has a field that's 1100 yards long and 100-150 yards wide. Lots of hogs that I have no problem taking a shot at. Matter of fact, they just destroyed 13 acres of newly planted soybeans in that field. My dad saw over 50 in the field at 9:30 in the morning a couple of days ago.

I've been using a 45-70 and Ithaca pump 12 gauge for close shots on hogs and my bushmaster predator and tikka 7 mag for long shots. I promised to trade my 7 mag for the bushmaster predator to my father in law a while back, but never technically traded up until he asked for my 7 mag a few months ago.

That's what led me here when I was researching rifles for my new killer. Had my heart set on a sako grey wolf or finnlight, but decided to go tikka again. Looking forward to buying a couple new ar15 lowers and a 6.5 Grendel with the money saved.
For the exact same purposes I built an LR-260 (AR Platform). The longest shot I've made on a hog with it so far was 750. Hog didn't take a step after a perfect shoulder/spine strike with the 130gr Sirocco II. That little sow was only about 260lbs but still it really did the job nicely.

Something similar would be well worth considering. The .458 or .45/70 on the big boars simply cannot be beat but anything under 500lbs it's really a lot of overkill and excessive recoil.

Heck out to 400yds I've piled up a bunch of them with the .204 and .220 swift but as I'm sure you know shot placement has to be perfect with the small bullets.

Again, Welcome.

Attachments

• 3522d1320392918-all-you-people-thinking-getting-started-but-intimidated-dollars-img_0066.jpg
    3522d1320392918-all-you-people-thinking-getting-started-but-intimidated-dollars-img_0066.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 59
Something similar would be well worth considering. The .458 or .45/70 on the big boars simply cannot be beat but anything under 500lbs it's really a lot of overkill and excessive recoil.

I really don't mind the 45-70, I actually love shooting it. I have ordered my RRA 458 socom upper but they are so overwhelmed, I probably won't get it for another 2-3 months.

Wish we had some porkers up here to test my bullets on:D....Rich
Trust me you really don't.

The amount of damage they can do to row cropping such as soybeans and grains is utterly devastating.

A herd of 40 hogs can do more damage in 24 hours than a drunk on a D6 out for a joy ride.

About all they are good for is getting farmers to invite people out to slaughter them:D

Well that and they really are great eating if you kill them and handle them right but both must be right. Let a big boar run a while and you might as well leave him where you kill him.

Kill them clean and quick and you have gourmet meat ready for the taking, but you have to get them gutted, washed, and cooled down at warp speed or they go rancid in a matter of just a few hours in warm weather.

I really don't mind the 45-70, I actually love shooting it. I have ordered my RRA 458 socom upper but they are so overwhelmed, I probably won't get it for another 2-3 months.
Oh I do too, I have two of them and love them to death.

Most people though do not.

Seriously though if it were me I'd cancel the order on the SOCOM and just get an LR 260 or 308 upper made instead.

Outside of 200 yards the .458 SOCOM is like throwing mortar fire down range, and the others are just as effective with a well placed shot, and much more ideal for longer ranges.

Welcome to the forum.
I am sure there sre some guys on here that would love to help out with your hog problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.