New guy here help me with a nice rifle !!!

BigBoySTuF

I have always been a 1911 and have variety multiple of customs done over the years including some supergrade . I do own one ar made by Wilson . I shot 50bmg few times over few months made by barret and I love it . That has wanted me to get a bolt
Action for a long range shooting maybe for hunting and shooting steel . I would definitely like to get an already assembled made rifle and have not much decided on caliber which is good and can shoot easily around 1000 yards made be 6.5 creed.
do excuse my ignorance still trying to learn as much as possible in rifle game . I am
Always considering talking a rifle
Class soon at our gun range to learn more aspects of that .
I have seen many rifles for sale on gunbroker made by gunwerks . Also hill country and APR are pretty much local to us here in Texas .
many recommendations
Thanks

I have this Alamo in 6.5 X 284 ? never fired except by builder I'll trade on a Stan Chen....

Attachments

• IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
$10k will get you a APR full custom with a Nightforce ATACR. Would be a stretch to get a GA Precision and a March scope for less than that. If you're going to skimp on something, don't do it on the glass, it'll last you for multiple rifles.

If you only want to hit steel or paper and aren't worried about on-animal performance, any of the 6.5mms would work, but bigger will make it easier. I would choose 6.5 PRC or 6.5-284 over the 6.5 Creedmoor. 6.5 PRC might have an edge in a wider range of factory ammo offerings, but you should be buying in enough quantity that supply isn't a concern for you.

A nickels worth of free advice. Do a lot more research, and reset your budget to $5,000 - ~$2,500 for the rifle and ~$2,500 for the glass. You WILL get a rife that outshoots your ability at that price point. If APR will sell you a Ranger in 6.5 Creed or 6.5PRC for that price, go for it. Christensen would be well in that price range also. Shoot that rifle until you wear out the barrel. By then you'll know what you want to spend $10,000 on, and you'll have a very nice scope ready to go for it.

For $10k, you can get into the best of the best.
Most top end full customs and top tier glass can be had for that price tag.

You are going to have a good all-around gun, but not the best for either steel or hunting. There will be compromises you will have to make.

6.5 Creedmoor is fine for shooting to 1000, but not necessarily for hunting at those distances. You would need to step up in case capacity to push the high BC/heavier bullets faster. But, then you will reduce barrel life. I think the 6.5 PRC would be a better choice for a single rifle. Not terrible barrel life, but the gain in capacity would benefit you at long range for hunting.

Building a switch barrel would be a great alternative. Shoot a smaller capacity found for steel and a lot more shooting, then swap bolt/bolt head and barrel to launch a heavier bullet a lot faster for hunting season.
That way, you will have the same action/stock/scope combo that you practice with so you will be comfortable with the set up.
Buy the best glass available. There IS a difference between a $1-1.5k scope and a $2.5-3k scope.

I'm having a hard time getting a feel for what you are asking, but maybe this will help.

GAP makes several "package" rifles. They use very high quality components and build them well from what I can tell. Their 6.5 Creedmoor reamer seems to shoot very well with Hornady factory ammo.

They guarantee 3/8 moa with factory ammo for people who like a guarantee.

They will also offer you an opportunity to setup the rifle with you and teach you the basics.

All good things, if you are looking for that kind of experience. My buddy was and he is quite happy with every part of his experience.

No experience but Kelbly sells custom builds and we know how good their actions area and they ise premium barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.