New guy from Wilm, NC -Question

.260 Rem

Hi Everyone,
I'm just starting in long range hunting/shooting. I've ordered a .260 Rem w/ a 1-8" twist but I have the option of 1-9" twist. I plan on shooting bullets in the 140gr range. My logic is faster spin to stabilize heaver bullets. Any suggestions? Better bullet weight? Comments. Thanks.
Jay

IF you are sure that you want the 140s, then the 1-8 IF it is a true 1-8. Only way to know is to ask the mftr if it is true 1-8 or rounded and measure it yourself when it comes in.

Cut rifled tend to be true twists while button rifled have been known to vary.

I have a 1-8.7 that loves 130s.

The reamer will have a great impact on what you shoot also. Got to have enough but not too much freebore.

Call Pacific Tool and Guage (PTG) and talk to Dave Kiff and see what he recommends. Either order your own reamer or make sure that the smith has a similar freebore reamer.

BH

The 260 is my favorite round. Have a 700 action with Krieger 28.5 " barrel. Shoots 100 and120gr ballistic tips great. Sub moa groups always. Barrel is 1:8.5 twist. Never shot anything heavier in this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts