New guy from the bayou

2BrownDogs

New guy from Louisiana here (Geaux Tigers). Relatively new, "adult onset," hunter, started in 2012-2013. Grew up fishing the marshes and bayous of Louisiana for speckled trout and redfish but did not come from a hunting family. Have been fortunate to hunt whitetails on some of my wife's family land in the Mississippi Delta. I've hunted Arizona and Colorado for elk the past two years, and although haven't pulled the trigger on one myself, I've packed out meat on both trips and am hooked for life! Through those trips, I've become more and more interested in long range hunting. Not that I see myself taking ELR shots on animals or anything beyond my capabilities to the point of being unethical, but I do see the need to expand my range and my gear to accommodate some of the open ground the west has to offer. I'm excited to join the group and learn from those with more experience than I do. I read and consume content religiously, I'm a bit of a nerd from that standpoint, but I'm passionate about this lifestyle, the animals we hunt and the places we hunt them.
I also lost a fight with a table saw in 2012, and lost my trigger finger. I pull the trigger with my middle finger which requires some awkward flexion or the wrist and hand positioning to get in line for a smooth trigger pull. With all that said, currently I'm looking for a new rifle, preferably in 28 or 30 Nosler, 300 PRC, or 300 weatherby magnum, and am very interested in how a thumb hole stock may work for me. I've never even held one so this is just a theory, I have yet to find anyone local who has one that I can handle. A vertical grip with a thin palm swell may also do the trick. Any help, tips, guidance, or general information is appreciated.
Regards,
Cody

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a wide breadth of knowledge between your fishing and hunting experiences. There's lots of good info around here.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts