New guy from PA/Good news, bad news...

BBQDad

Hi!
I am going on a back-country Elk hunt in MT this Fall (2013). :D

I'll be using a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .300 Win Mag, almost certainly using 180-gr., but have not yet decided exactly which bullet or powder load.

The scope is a Leupold VX-3L 6.5-20 X 56 mm.

All that was the good news...

The bad news is, I had to get the rifle because my trusty Model 70 .30-'06, vintage 1967, misfired three times in fewer than 50 rounds---twice on hand-loads and once on factory loads---none of the ammo was old. The gunsmith confirmed there were problems not related to the ammunition.

So, I have my work cut out for me. I have to break in a new rifle, sight it in, and get comfortable with it.

I'll be spending LOTS of time at the range before I leave for Montana. Luckily, The PA Game Commission has two ranges in Greene County, PA. One is a 100 yard range, the other is 300 yards.

In any case, it promises to be the hunt of a lifetime: Nine days in back-country of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex.:)

Hope you're shooting well.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.