New guy from NC/VA

Welcome from TN. I am in the process of getting ready for a custom build. I picked 30.06 because you can find ammo anywhere in the world and will take pretty much everything except for dangerous game. I reload and have everything from 22 LR to 458 Lott and landed on the 30.06 for the full custom build.

I would suggest going to 300 win . Shots tend to me further out west at least in my hunting. In the 300 win would suggest 200 gr Hornady eld bullet has worked great for me. I tend to use swarovski scopes but really like leopold 3.5 x18 with red dot reticle.

Hi and Welcome from New Jersey!! We are a rather shy and reserved bunch, ( Like Monks ) BUT since you put the quarter in, you're going to get the WHOLE RIDE!!!!! Even though I am a big 270 Win and 270 Weatherby Mag fan, if Elk was going to be part of the hunt, and you wanted to take One rifle , I would take some 30 mag. Even a 300 Win Mag, which can be had factory loaded with so many great bullets designed for Medium and Big game. Nothing against the excellent 30 -06, I own 2 , but a 30 Mag will give you a bit more range and a lot more punch at those longer ranges. You can even find 300 Win mag Ammo in Walmart's, in an emergency!!! Something to think about. Good luck and have fun.

Hello to all, I visit the forum a bit here and there. I am researching now for a trip that I have planned next year 2024 in CO for a combo ELK/Mule deer trip. I am looking to get a new rifle as all I have now is an old REM 700 5R in 308 and then several smaller rifles. I am looking to get something in 30/06 so trying to research that a bit and find the right rifle for the trip and to use around home and glass. Also open to guide recommendations for out west. I am sure I will find quite a few through using search though.
You might give Grey ghost outfitters a call, out in Raton New Mexico--we had very good luck with them in October of this year. 30-06 is a great rig, I personally love a SAKO 85 right out of the box with factory Sierra 165 tipped game King, Leopold VX6HD 3-18X44 or 50 mm objective. That combo will shoot as good as any custom and will save you about 2K on top of that. Any of the heavy medium cartridges will put down an Elk at Range. Nothing wrong with that .308 to about 500yds. My last two elk were at 500 and 550 yds respectively with a 7mm Rem Mag and when my rifled failed (this year) I had to borrow my buddies 6.5 Creedmoor (which would not be my go-to Elk rig) and dropped the bull at 550 yds, one shot DRT. last year I knocked down a big muley in CO at 475 yds, one shot DRT with a 7mm-08 (Fierce Custom-Barnes 145 LRX bullet). I have a bunch of big 30s and 33s but I just don't use 'em that often anymore. You might also take a look at the 6.5 PRC or the 6.8 Western...I just picked up one of each recently and I love their performance, light weight, lack of muzzle blast and recoil. That 6.8 with 165 gr bullet hits with the same energy as a .300 win mag at 500 yds, still has 1200 ft lbs. at 800. For that long range gig, optics is the key, good quality dial turrets and practice off the sticks. FWIW, I'd really like to shoot 'em closer, but the shots presented have all been a "fur piece", so I was glad to have equipment that could do it.

Well reason for 30-06 is fairly easy, while I do own several rifles most are AK's and ARs like I stated the only rifle I really have for hunting is 308 and I rarely use that for multiple reasons. 1st it is a heavy pig, just under 12lbs. I use to have properties to hunt that I sat in a stand most of the day. Well they have been sold or hunt clubs have thrown crazy money to lease them. So when I do have places to hunt with a rifle around here I want a lighter rifle.

Ammo availability, 30-06 just easy to find.

Recoil, yeah I can manage a magnum power rifle but I don't mind less recoil either.

I want a rifle that I can use more here and not focus on one trip. Around my area 200 yards is hard to find, we just don't have huge wide open areas. Another strike against a magnum powered rifle. I have a field I can shoot just over 300 yards in, but that is a place I am allowed to target shoot only. So I also figure my max comfortable range will be 400 yards. I know to most that isn't crazy long distance, but to a mid Atlantic coastal plains person that is getting out there for us..

Honestly I thought about 280ai, as I do have a reloader. However I am a simple man with 4 kids and rarely have time for extracurricular things at the moment lol. So 30-06 seems simple, will work out to my comfortable range, and I figure just checks the most boxes for me. However I always like to read others opinions and facts who have been around and learn. So here I am!

Also I am from the Hampton roads area of Virginia just outside of Suffolk.