New guy from Kansas

I've always had a passion for shooting. I've been reloading for over 15 years. I started to get the bug to shoot long range several years ago but had to drive a long way to shoot. A couple of years ago a range out to 1360 yds opened up 45 minutes from my house, so now I'm finally going to get into it.

I've watch your videos and read forum posts for a while and decided to join. My main decision right now is I can't decide whether to build my .243 into a LR rifle or finally jump on the 6.5 cm bandwagon. Thanks for letting me join and I hope everyone hits there mark in the year to come. As always (aim small miss small).
Thanks for joining, your aim small miss small moto reminds me of an old carpenter friend ,who always told me when you do something ,always shoot for 100 % and most of the time you'll come out in the 90's %.

Welcome from north of the border (Saskatchewan, Canada). This forum is the best one out there imo, has been a treasure trove of information and food for thought. Even for people not shooting that far yet (farthest shot I've ever made hunting is 400 yards, nothing compared to many on here - I've honestly just never not been able to get closer) - I find the LR community by nature comes to understand the finer points of ballistics, handloading, and "rifle behaviour", with lots of learning to share with "ordinary" hunters and shooters.

I've been reading and learning more as I've gotten more interested in LR. I'm even getting more interested and diving down the rabbit hole of ballistic info, more than I ever have. It's a very interesting topic

Welcome to a great forum with lots of solid information. Please share your questions and information as we all learn from each other. I'm a old way guy and don't always get down to the 1000th decimal point.

Both cartridges you mentioned are capable of "long range" based on your distance. Search up here and lots of old threads or ask if you don't find a answer. You just set the parameters for you and use what works for you.

I may prefer things you dislike and vice versa....Kansas is still free last I heard. I do think punching paper and animals are two completely different scenarios.

My long range practice guns are a 6.5 PQ 300WM and the true legend 30-06. Enjoy the ride!

I have a very dry sense of humor and I'm a big smart aleck so the jokes about a needmoore won't bother me. I'm sure I'll get the same from a round that is older than dirt(.243). But it's a great round and a big plus it's a 6mm lol.
I know both will get to that range, plus both will take down a deer. One of these days I need to make up my mind on which one to go with
Well uh....both of course!!!! Trust me you can get a tack driver 500 rifle very capable of your long range.

I have the trusty 06. But unfortunately I can't shoot it anymore, because of new medical conditions I can't handle the recoil of it( bad shoulder). It really upsets me because it's a very accurate and awesome rifle even for factory stock.

Well uh....both of course!!!! Trust me you can get a tack driver 500 rifle very capable of your long range.
That is true. The .243 with a 109gr Nosler Partion's shoots 3 round clover leafs at 100 all day long with a factory pencil barrel. It loves that load.
But with that combo it's like 25-29 mil at that distance because the BC's aren't there. And the chamber won't allow longer bullets seated out longer

Welcome to the forum! The 243 Win is a fine cartridge. The thing to check for is to see if the barrel twist is fast enough to shoot heavy bullets. A 7.5 twist on a 6mm/.243 is good for bullets in the 105 grain weight.

Welcome to the forum! The 243 Win is a fine cartridge. The thing to check for is to see if the barrel twist is fast enough to shoot heavy bullets. A 7.5 twist on a 6mm/.243 is good for bullets in the 105 grain weight.
If I re barrel it, it will be either a 7.5 or an 8 twist with a match chamber to have the room for the heavy for caliber bullets. I love that round as it pretty much does everything some of the new ones do