new guy from fort leonard wood, MO.

careylogan308

I have a question That I hopw some one can help me with. I am looking at gettin a new long range varnit rifle chambered in 22-250. I recently came across A new stevens rifle that I like the feel of but don't know if the light barrel will hold up for long shots just need to know if the gun is worth the $330 price tag for what I want to do or if I need to look at some of the more expensive guns out there Such as the savage 12 series or the Howas. Any ideas would be helpful?

Cant help ya on the stevens or howa, but I had a Winchester M-70, 223wssm that shot under 1moa with factory ammo and a pencil thin barrel. Kinda surprised me actualy, but it worked great while I had it. Fouled fast tho, had to clean it constantly, never more than 10 rounds and required thurough scrubbing. Good luck with your choice

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Wouldn't hurt to take a look at the Savage and Howas. I've heard some good reviews on both from folks here at LRH. Enjoy.

I was at Ft Leonardwood for a while back in the early 70s. Shot a truck load of woodchucks and two or three truck loads of crows using a 25-06 and 75 gr HPs. There was some good turkey hunting on post.

A light barrel is more of an issue with heat management than accuracy. I doubt you will have enough targets to get to shooting so fast that you heat up the barrel.

I have a question That I hopw some one can help me with. I am looking at gettin a new long range varnit rifle chambered in 22-250. I recently came across A new stevens rifle that I like the feel of but don't know if the light barrel will hold up for long shots just need to know if the gun is worth the $330 price tag for what I want to do or if I need to look at some of the more expensive guns out there Such as the savage 12 series or the Howas. Any ideas would be helpful?

Have you given any consideration to another caliber? 22-250 is fast, but the bullets have terrible BCs. A 243 is slower, but the bullets are heavier, BCs higher and will shoot waaaaay farther than the 22-250.

I have a mauser chambered in 8mm it does do the trick but it has a massive amount of recoil and I did find a savage model 11 chambered in 22-250 for $475 which I really like I intend to use this more for practice at about 300-500 yards not so much for actual hunting. My question was more to the effect of is the light barrel to light to be really accurate at this distance. or would I be better off getting into something heavier. Sorry for any confusion.

I have a mauser chambered in 8mm it does do the trick but it has a massive amount of recoil and I did find a savage model 11 chambered in 22-250 for $475 which I really like I intend to use this more for practice at about 300-500 yards not so much for actual hunting. My question was more to the effect of is the light barrel to light to be really accurate at this distance. or would I be better off getting into something heavier. Sorry for any confusion.

No confusion here. I understood your question about barrel contour. Generally speaking, the heavier the barrel, the more accurate the rifle. For a long range rig I like muzzles of no smaller than .65 for a 'carry rifle' (.75 is better) and no smaller than .82 for more dedicated long range 'sit here' and 'shoot there' type rifles.

The point I wanted to raise with you in terms of caliber is the relative weakness that the high-power 22s have when it comes to long range shooting. Sure, the 22-250 is screaming fast but with lightweight bullets and poor BCs, at 500 yards, you better have the wind doped just right. In light of that, I wanted to suggest to you a better alternative which would be to step up to the 243 (6mm) cartridges. Their recoil is low but the BCs you can get are great. Their effective range for targets and varmints are about as far as you can see and with the high BCs they buck the wind waaaay better than the 22s. So the rifle you're looking at might be a good deal in terms of $$, it might not be such a great deal in terms of what you want to do. Just my two cents.

Cant help ya on the stevens or howa, but I had a Winchester M-70, 223wssm that shot under 1moa with factory ammo and a pencil thin barrel. Kinda surprised me actualy, but it worked great while I had it. Fouled fast tho, had to clean it constantly, never more than 10 rounds and required thurough scrubbing. Good luck with your choice
Fort Lost In The Woods, in the state of MISERY. been there, done that back in the late 70's. Got there in the middle of january during a 2 foot snow storm. I had my basic and AIT there. I was there when a huge tornado went through St Roberts and we watched it oit the window from the barracks at B-2-3 training barracks. No fun. And I never will forget the hike to tent city up that stteep *** hill. take care and good luck, just wanted to comment on your location. Ahh, the memories. 7STW

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.