New Guy Dilemma

Caliber Choice

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • 7-08

Votes: 7 14.6%

Votes: 28 58.3%

• Total voters

CBrowning

Hello to all, I have been lurking awhile and figured its about time I make a post. Looking at getting back into rifle hunting since my son is still a ways away from being able to use a bow for hunting. I'm stuck between which caliber to select.

7-08

At the present time I don't reload, hope to soon.
The rifle I've kinda been set on it a tikka varmint.
Plan to use as an all around rifle, varmints to elk.
Use to picking my shots on game.

Any advise is appreciated.

With elk on the menu, my vote goes fr the 308. Not the best varmint round although barrel life will be long and better to shoot varmints with an elk rifle rather than shooting elk with a varmint round.

Also, a much better selection of ammo till you start reloading.

A 26" 7mm-08 with a 1:9 twist would be a very desirable weapon. It will allow you do shoot up to a 180gr bullet, which would be ideal for elk and LR shooting/hunting.

You can use Reloader 19, work up to max load (Berger manual states 42.8gr) with a Berger 180 Hybrid traveling over 2,600 fps, and you'd have a hammer of a rifle.

I'm thinking that, unless you are "really" picky with your shots, all three of what you suggest are too small.

However, my definition of long range is any thing beyond 700 yards. Extreme long range is beyond 1100.

If you are under 600 yards a stiff load in 308 placed precisely where you wish otta darn well do the job....

Just say'n :)

I'd consider picking a caliber with at least 2 3s in it..:D

Can't go wrong w/ having a 308 in the safe. Plus there is far more ammo options until you start your reloading career. Plus there is better chance that a reloading buddy reloads for the 308 and can build you some rounds. Without a doubt the 308 is the most popular and most abundant, both good characteristics in your current position.

A 26" 7mm-08 with a 1:9 twist would be a very desirable weapon. It will allow you do shoot up to a 180gr bullet, which would be ideal for elk and LR shooting/hunting.

You can use Reloader 19, work up to max load (Berger manual states 42.8gr) with a Berger 180 Hybrid traveling over 2,600 fps, and you'd have a hammer of a rifle.

Who asked you? :)

Just kiddin man :D

I'm thinking that, unless you are "really" picky with your shots, all three of what you suggest are too small.

However, my definition of long range is any thing beyond 700 yards. Extreme long range is beyond 1100.

If you are under 600 yards a stiff load in 308 placed precisely where you wish otta darn well do the job....

Just say'n :)

I'd consider picking a caliber with at least 2 3s in it..:D

Gotta agree with you Roy, the standard 308 round is not a LR elk round. That said, with a little load development with the right powder and bullet you could probably stretch out to 700 or so.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/ok-i-am-believer-308-rl-17-208-amax-sweet-spot-54102/

Just dont think a 7mm-08 with a short action and 180 vld is a good long range elk round, sorry.

Just dont think a 7mm-08 with a short action and 180 vld is a good long range elk round, sorry.

Really doesn't matter. The OP does not reload and as far as I know there are no 180gr 7mm08 factory loads, but I may be wrong.

Just to clarify, long range at elk for me with these calibers would be 300yds.
You present a bit of a quandary with your desired application and these three choices.

Of those you list I'd go with the 260 because of the ballistics but to be real honest if you want to shoot everything from varmints to elk all with the same rifle and don't want a big boomer you should probably rethink things a bit and consider the .264wm (if you are not planning on high volume shooting) and the 7mm Rem Mag.

Both of them are literally a blast to shoot and carry enough energy along with being very flat shooting to be a great "do it all" rifle.

If however you insist on a non magnum caliber I'd run with the .260.

Since you're looking for an allround calibre and are very limited on your choices, only the .308W will remain IMO. You really should reconsider your calibre choice and go for something that get things done without effort and without effecting you negatively, f . ex. recoil. You should include rounds like the 280 AI or 7RM in your considerations. There are more to find.

Out of your list I would also say .308. But if you may wander out of that realm why not think of the 25-06. It has plenty of varmint rounds and is more than capable of elk at the range you suggested with a 110 to 120 gr bullet. Also recoil would be pleasant to shoot. Just keep in mind others have made good suggestions but if you don't reload you also need to keep ammo availability in mind.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.