New guy advice: 700 RUM weaver style hunting setup-which one?

sdowney

First timer-I appreciate the advice in advance.

I've a new Conquest 6.5 x 20 50mm going on a Rem 700 .300 RUM. The rifle has been moderately tweaked and is fairly precise. I'm taking a Lupy Varix-III off of it. I'd like to move up to a 1 piece, 20 MOA base in light of the scope's limited elevation adjustment. I'll use the rifle for mounted and dismounted elk & deer hunting in Idaho. I'm looking to have a solid 700-800 yard hunter.

I'd like to get a solid mounting platform that isn't crazy expensive (I don't have any ties to AIG or GM and Barack's big 'help' hasn't arrived yet). Since it is going on a hunter, I'd like to be reasonable with the weight as well.

So, what would you recommend for a strong, not too heavy, and reasonably priced rail/ring combo?

Again, many thanks.

First timer-I appreciate the advice in advance.

I've a new Conquest 6.5 x 20 50mm going on a Rem 700 .300 RUM. The rifle has been moderately tweaked and is fairly precise. I'm taking a Lupy Varix-III off of it. I'd like to move up to a 1 piece, 20 MOA base in light of the scope's limited elevation adjustment. I'll use the rifle for mounted and dismounted elk & deer hunting in Idaho. I'm looking to have a solid 700-800 yard hunter.

I'd like to get a solid mounting platform that isn't crazy expensive (I don't have any ties to AIG or GM and Barack's big 'help' hasn't arrived yet). Since it is going on a hunter, I'd like to be reasonable with the weight as well.

So, what would you recommend for a strong, not too heavy, and reasonably priced rail/ring combo?

Again, many thanks.

EGW 20MOA rail and Burris XTR rings. Best pair for the money around. Hands down.

Since most of the hunting I do requires me to carry my rifles often times for 12 hours a day for days on end, I prefer to keep the mounting system light. I didnt say weak, just light in weight.

I start with the Nightforce 2 peice 20 MOA base. I find it easier and cleaner to get perfect alignment with a 2 peice than a one peice. Logic says otherwise but I find it easier. Then after I install the bases PROPERLY, I install the Night force UL rings. Both rings weigh less than one badger ring.

Properly installing a one peice base requires JB weld or similar. I hate dealing with them mess and the one piece bases are much heavier.

A two piece can be installed and made to be aligned in a few moments with a single cut file. This ensures very precise ring alignment. After the top two bases are aligned with eachother, then I loosen the back base a wee bit, just enough to move around with minimal effort. Then I set the ring in the forward slot of the rear base and tighten it down. I install a 30mm alignment bar in the rings, snug them down and then tighten the back screw of the rear base. This ensures proper side to side alignment. After this, I take of the half moons and set the alignment bar aside and use the 2 pointed bars to make absolutly certain the rings are perfectly aligned. After verification, I start installing the scope.

Which ever type you decide to go with, make sure you take the time to align the rings. This prevents damage and can help prevent ring marks to your scope. Using aluminum rings, they are typically in very smooth shape and wont leave marks UNLESS the rings are not perfectly aligned. Steel rings ussually need to be lapped to make them smooth enough so they dont leave any marks. Again, if they dont line up, they will still leave marks.

One piece or two peice, it will take effort to get perfect ring alignment. The problem ussually isnt with the base(s) rather with the action. A one peice may be straight when you recieve it but not after you torque it to the action. This is where JB weld come to play. You tighten the front part down and not the back. JB fills the void under the back so after it is dry, you can torque it down and she stays straight. Dont forget the releasing agent.

Thanks for the input. Michael, the only problem with your suggestion is that I'm dealing wih 1" Conquest tube. But, I understand your logic and will see if I can find a comparable setup with other than NF since they're limited to 30mm bases & rings.

You can get a burris two-piece picatinny, but I don't think it's elevated.

I would spend $120 on a leupold mark four rail. While I don't think much of EGW, burris xtr rings are awesome and should hold up to the recoil.

Whatever you do, dont get a Leatherwood. It's definitely not 1913 standard.
icon4.gif

Texas.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.