New Gunwerks LRmax Ammo

HawkeyeFan

What is the scoop on this? Is it a different bullet? Different Chamberings? Higher cost for higher quality? Or is it anyone's guess until the website gets updated. I also notice the website no longer lists any plans for a rimfire. That is too bad.

HawkeyeFan

I know this post is old, but I just looked on their site and saw the LRmax listed on there. I too am curious to know what bullet this is if anyone knows.

Its a new bullet from Hornady..However it will be a while until they are made. All new bullets were shelved until demand was met for current orders. . At least that's how I understand the situation. I'd look for a 2015 availability but that's a guess

I'm really curious to know about this bullet. Would love to see it available in component form. Hopefully it's like an A-MAX but with a tougher jacket to hold up better on tougher game. Really would like to hear more about it but there is no information out there on it yet.

Yep me too. My guess is it will be available for reloading just like all Hornadys components. But not anytime soon

I spoke to Mike at Gunwerks about these a month ago when they were shipping my rifle. I think he said 175gr in 7mm and 190 in 30cal. Not sure if they will be available as a component, as I didn't ask, but he said they should be available around June of this year. B.C.'s comparable to Bergers of similar weight and they are not bonded but will have a jacket design to promote some weight retention (how much I have no idea) and will be tipped for reliable expansion. I've always had good luck in developing accurate loads with Hornady bullets and I load the 105 Amax in my factory Rem .243 varmint and it's sub MOA out to 1000. I'm kind of excited about these if they are available as a component as I haven't found a Hornady bullet that suits my personal preference for a big game "variable range" bullet as of yet. I use Barnes for my big game hunting and have been very happy so far although my furthest shot was 783yds on a whitetail in Nebraska last year and terminal performance was excellent. I just hope that they aren't too stout once you start approaching the quad digit mark. I do know that if you shoot a muley in the brisket with one at 97yds you will have to dig it out of his ham when you're butchering. :)

I spoke to Mike at Gunwerks about these a month ago when they were shipping my rifle. I think he said 175gr in 7mm and 190 in 30cal. Not sure if they will be available as a component, as I didn't ask, but he said they should be available around June of this year. B.C.'s comparable to Bergers of similar weight and they are not bonded but will have a jacket design to promote some weight retention (how much I have no idea) and will be tipped for reliable expansion. I've always had good luck in developing accurate loads with Hornady bullets and I load the 105 Amax in my factory Rem .243 varmint and it's sub MOA out to 1000. I'm kind of excited about these if they are available as a component as I haven't found a Hornady bullet that suits my personal preference for a big game "variable range" bullet as of yet. I use Barnes for my big game hunting and have been very happy so far although my furthest shot was 783yds on a whitetail in Nebraska last year and terminal performance was excellent. I just hope that they aren't too stout once you start approaching the quad digit mark. I do know that if you shoot a muley in the brisket with one at 97yds you will have to dig it out of his ham when you're butchering. :)

Wow sounds great! This is what I was hoping for, pretty much an A-MAX but with the internal construction like a hunting bullet. These should be winners for sure. I know if they introduce components for them in the 200-210gr range for .30cal I will definitely give them a try. Also would like to see a long range .270cal bullet from Hornady in the heavy 160gr range so they would have similiar BCs to the heavy 7mms.

Yeah, if that is true that would be great! Hopefully they will get into the heavier for caliber options as well. Either way, it is great that there are more and more big name companies getting into the high BC, long range hunting bullet line. The more they all push themselves, the better it is for us!

Yeah, if that is true that would be great! Hopefully they will get into the heavier for caliber options as well. Either way, it is great that there are more and more big name companies getting into the high BC, long range hunting bullet line. The more they all push themselves, the better it is for us!

I agree, really like how everyone is recognizing the long range hunting guys and putting products out there for us. This would really be an excellent bullet, have the BCs of A-MAXs and Bergers but terminal performance like a standard Hornady Spire Point. Pretty much a do all bullet from 0-1000yds.

On their show this week, they were testing what is the bullet in question im guessing on antelope. It was just enough to see that it blows the crap out of speed goats.

We should have the new line of ammo out first thing next year. Hornady named the new bullet ELD-X not LRmax as I suggested! We will update the name of the ammo accordingly.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.