New Gunwerks 6.5-284 Norma

I have killed elk out to 905 yards with the 140 vld from a 6.5x284 through the shoulder and still didn't recover the bullet. Hitting the front shoulder helps bullet expansion at lower impact velocity and the animal will go down quicker. Gunwerks is spot on with their advice. If you are worried about penetration step up to the 156. The higher sectional density will penetrate further.

Appreciate the input. I don't plan on shooting an elk at 1k but I wanted to know if the cartridge was good for it just for peace of mind. If its good at 1k I should be great at 500 or so which would be a personal limit for myself. I shoot quite a bit at 1k at targets but understand shooting at an animal in field conditions it completely different. This elk hunt kind of came out of nowhere and I was trying to decide if the rifle I bought last year would work or if I needed to order a new rifle which is never a bad thing.

I agree with parts of several different posts in this thread. I think individual shooter abilities can be, and often are, more of a limiter than caliber when it comes to 1000 yd elk. There are many folks on here capable of that shot and I mean no disrespect to them, but far more people are not capable of that, as most don't train/practice at that yardage under field type conditions. My only point is a 6.5-284 will kill an elk out to my self imposed yardage limit of around 600 yds. If the OP is of the thinking he may self impose that type of yardage limit on himself, then take the gun you have, are comfortable with, and make an accurate placement shot.

My choice to shoot or not shoot at an animal has nothing to do with bore diameter or shot distance. I choose to shoot when I am confident I have an accurate wind call/range and the bullet will create a wound channel directly above the heart. I have never wounded a single big game animal with a rifle. I can't say the same for archery. If I don't know where the bullet is going to land I don't take the shot.

The 6.5x284 is a great round. If it's what you're comfortable with and confident in, take it! Should do the trick for 1,000 and under. A 7mm (7 Rem Mag, 7LRM, 28 Nosler, etc.) may be a more ideal elk round, but for the occasional elk hunt, I wouldn't hesitate one bit. Elk are tough critters to knock down sometimes, but not tough to kill. There is no magic bullet. I've seen a bull absorb multiple rounds right to the boiler room with a large 300 or 338 before going down and I've also seen them drop in their tracks with a single 6mm bullet. Make a good shot and keep shooting until they're down.

Appreciate the input. I don't plan on shooting an elk at 1k but I wanted to know if the cartridge was good for it just for peace of mind. If its good at 1k I should be great at 500 or so which would be a personal limit for myself. I shoot quite a bit at 1k at targets but understand shooting at an animal in field conditions it completely different. This elk hunt kind of came out of nowhere and I was trying to decide if the rifle I bought last year would work or if I needed to order a new rifle which is never a bad thing.
Man you are good to go. Drive on

I had a new Gunwerks 6.5-284 Norma built last year and very happy with the rifle so far. I had originally purchased the gun for deer hunting and was fortunate to be able to harvest two nice bucks last year with perfect performance from the rifle and ammo combination.

We are taking some of our clients on an elk hunt next year and I wanted to know what everyone's opinion is on this caliber for elk. I am currently shooting the 140 Grain Berger VLD's at 3,059 FPS and will be hunting elk at elevation 5,000 ft approx. I spoke to Gunwerks about this and they were very honest in saying they have killed a lot of elk with this caliber and I should be good out to 1,000 yards. When I asked if I needed to stay off the shoulder, they told me to shoot directly in the shoulder. This sort of surprised me since I always shot deer in the shoulder but thought that might be risky with such a big animal.

I completely trust what they are telling me but since I've never elk hunted before, I wanted to get some other opinions before I go on this trip. If needed, I could get another rifle built in maybe the 7MM LRM or 28 Nosler but I really like the 6.5.

Any help with experience on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
It is a 1000 yard elk gun. You are good to go. Don't listen to these guys who say you need a 300 magnum to kill an elk at long range - they don't know what they are talking about. I grew up in elk country - went through the big magnum phase and now hunt them with a 270wsm and 6.5 prc. My 300 rum doesnt kill them any better than my 6.5 prc (which is a ballistic twin to you 6.5-284).

Well looks like some people like it and some don't. Everyone has their own opinion based on their experience. I looked at the ballistic and ran the numbers and they seem to work for what I'm doing. That being said, I will plan to take the rifle elk hunting and see for myself if it performs well or not. I appreciate all of the responses and even though they are different opinions they all make sense. I guess there's only one way to find out for sure.

My most accurate rifle (other than my 6br) is a 6-284. First animal taken with it (It is a newer rifle) was a pronghorn antelope at around 480 yards this past August. As of right now, my hunting comfort zone for big game animals is 500 yards. After more practice, I will probably be able to stretch it to 700 or so. I know there are many hunters who could do much better than that. I do personally believe for extremely long range shots at elk a larger caliber should be considered. I want that big brute to go down as quickly and humanely as possible. I have seen youtube videos of elk getting shot with less than ideal calibers and the elk barely notices it has been hit. They walk around for a bit and then finally fall to the ground. Everything I have shot, knows it is hit and has dropped right where it was shot.

I have always heard 1000 ft. Pounds for deer size game, 1500 ft. pounds for elk size game
Pretty subjective. In reality that info is pretty old as it didn't take into account different bullet designs, sectional density, and FPS. In modern terms velocity, bullet design, and sectional density top the charts in terms of terminal ballistics to a point. If we are discussing close range dangerous game then cartridges like the 458 and 500 nitro have a vastly different design. Sending huge bullets with large front contact point and high energy to penetrate large bone, thick hide, and dense muscle. I do think there should be a standard and also think the standards should be updated with the current understanding of terminal ballistics. TB does not get the attention it deserves IMHO. I think people are under gunning for distance in about every caliber by choosing the wrong combination of bullets and fps. Things like taking a 7 mag and 120 grain bullet.... Some people would hear 7 mag and automatically assume the hunter is good to go to 1000k.

Pretty subjective. In reality that info is pretty old as it didn't take into account different bullet designs, sectional density, and FPS. In modern terms velocity, bullet design, and sectional density top the charts in terms of terminal ballistics to a point. If we are discussing close range dangerous game then cartridges like the 458 and 500 nitro have a vastly different design. Sending huge bullets with large front contact point and high energy to penetrate large bone, thick hide, and dense muscle. I do think there should be a standard and also think the standards should be updated with the current understanding of terminal ballistics. TB does not get the attention it deserves IMHO. I think people are under gunning for distance in about every caliber by choosing the wrong combination of bullets and fps. Things like taking a 7 mag and 120 grain bullet.... Some people would hear 7 mag and automatically assume the hunter is good to go to 1000k.

Agreed.

I had a new Gunwerks 6.5-284 Norma built last year and very happy with the rifle so far. I had originally purchased the gun for deer hunting and was fortunate to be able to harvest two nice bucks last year with perfect performance from the rifle and ammo combination.

We are taking some of our clients on an elk hunt next year and I wanted to know what everyone's opinion is on this caliber for elk. I am currently shooting the 140 Grain Berger VLD's at 3,059 FPS and will be hunting elk at elevation 5,000 ft approx. I spoke to Gunwerks about this and they were very honest in saying they have killed a lot of elk with this caliber and I should be good out to 1,000 yards. When I asked if I needed to stay off the shoulder, they told me to shoot directly in the shoulder. This sort of surprised me since I always shot deer in the shoulder but thought that might be risky with such a big animal.

I completely trust what they are telling me but since I've never elk hunted before, I wanted to get some other opinions before I go on this trip. If needed, I could get another rifle built in maybe the 7MM LRM or 28 Nosler but I really like the 6.5.

Any help with experience on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

So you completely trust what Gunwerks tells you but you want to go with the opinions of other people who don't do this for a living...? Makes sense !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.