New Gun......Shot without cleaning!!

denny2

Hi all,
I have a fellow employee that was excited about his new gun purchase.
He bought a Savage model 16 package deal with scope in .243 for this years deer season.
He mentioned he wanted a .243 because the old 06 is too much for him, he is pushing 70 years.
I asked him how he was going to break it in, he wasn't sure. then he said his son has lots of guns and knew what to do. I told him to make sure that they at least clean the barrel once before they shoot it to get the extra oil and debris out from manufacturing process. I also mentioned the shoot one clean for the first 5 or so. Well he came to work and told me they went out and sighted the gun in. I asked how the break-in went. His son told him that there was no need and they didn't even clean it before the first shot. I wonder if that barrel will have problems down the road.

one of the first rifles that I bought was a savage .223 the only other previous guns I had was a 12ga. and a 22lr. didn't clean it break it in or anything...just didn't know.

When I learned about break in processes I worried about it.

I have over 500 rds down it and its still shooting just over a half inch at 100. I'm ok with that.

you know i have known alot of old timers that fill the same way. that there is no need to brake in the barrel and many of there guns are some real shooters, but they dont shoot them much to so if you are just going to buy a gun site it in and then shoot maybe two shots a year for the rest of its life then a brake in might not be worth it. ;-}

but for me i have close to 300 rounds down my newist rifle in the last 6 mounts, i know thats not many for some but its more than some rifles ever see .

heck my grandad last 270 he had for 40 years and i know it didnt have more than 4 boxes of shells through it

Hell I always run a box or so through 'em after a few patches to clean out the proof round. I sight 'em in and then clean them. I'll use a lighter load if I don't have any loaded and then do load work up. If I have some loaded already for another rifle they go out. Playing the shoot, clean game after every shot is foolish. The proof was run down with minimal cleaning, if any. Clean that crap out and you've got a shot barrel ready to go. Just don't let it get filthy before it has a few hundred on it.

I'm thinking what was previously mentioned that he will only shoot a few rounds a year through it. I hope it will be a good gun for him, He is a nice guy.:)

I am betting he will have no issues.
Here is an instructional video for his next rifle

Last edited by a moderator:
IDK that last shot at 700 was on the left side of the plate...better break it in some more!!gun)

Every time I see that break in video I bust a gut laughing.

Back on topic, personally I would not worry about the break in of that rifle.

You would think that rifle would lose its zero being thrown around like that.

A rifle that wouldn't loose its zero and still shoot tight groups after that treatment would be worth it weight in gold!
I get a little bent outa shape if I even put a light scratch on most of mine though.

Original Question:

Many factory barrels don't see any break in or 1st time cleaning. I am a believer in 1st and initial cleaning just for the safety factor (never shoot with a plugged bore), but lots of factory guns end up shooting good without doing the 1 shot clean routine.

The following were shot from factory tubes without any "break in procedure".
Just cleaned once, shot and cleaned again after every 20 to 50 rounds. Not a whole lot of cleaning, but cleaned down to bare metal when they were cleaned.

Attachments

• 22-250 VSSF at 100yds.jpg
    22-250 VSSF at 100yds.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 123
  • 204 at 300yds.jpg
    204 at 300yds.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Ruger 77 220 Swift.jpg
    Ruger 77 220 Swift.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 25-06 115 Nosler.jpg
    25-06 115 Nosler.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 129
This a good thread and truth be told as SBruce makes clear by example, I am more afraid of screwing things up by damaging something by over cleaning, solvent into bedding, crown damage, ect....

And I am sure the manufacturers of factory guns know some people are going shoot without cleaning so they are going to go out of their way to make sure no one gets hurt and their product performs.

Those are some nice groups SBruce. I was worried about the first cleaning/safety factor the most. Maybe there is too much emphasis put into break-in. I probably clean my barrel too much. I will use solvent-brush-patches every 30-40 rounds. Sometimes I will fire a couple of rounds and put it away then when I bring it out the next time, I pull a bore snake through it a few times if it hasn't been a total of 30-40 rounds. I remember when I picked up my barrel from Rock Creek I asked what they thought about break-in. He said just clean it once in a while and just shoot it. I looked at it as I spent good money on this barrel, I wanted the best from it and for it to last. Maybe I should slow down on the cleaning.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.