New Gun...Shooting Tomorrow!

3fingervic

Ok. I bought a Savage 110 FCP-K in .300wm. So obviously this is a factory barrel, what do I need to do? I was only planning on shooting about 20 rounds or so. I have heard about many barrel break in techniques, and I've also heard to just shoot and clean until I'm done then clean. What's the right thing to do for my gun?

IMHO I would use one of the barrel break procedures you mentioned unless the manufacturer has a reccomended procedure in which case I'd follow the manufacturers reccomendation...don't want to void any warranty.

Last edited:
With my Kimber Police Tactical in 300 win mag, I cleaned after every shot for the first 5 shots and then again after 5 shots and then after ten. It has worked pretty good so far.

Vic, don't shoot it until you read the featured article by Jim See. You can find it on the home page, I think it's titled barrel cleaning at 17x. It's a good read. I use a slightly different product than Jim, but always follow the same process as he outlines. I think it definately makes a difference.

First of all, let me say that I'm far from experienced. I only shot ten rounds due to all the cleaning. I need an adjustable cheek piece on this gun. I used a hunting glove on top oF the butt to give me a cheek weld(ish).:) I used another glove and my hand to rest the rear of the gun. The front has a Harris bipod on it. I was shooting prone.

Ok, brass tax, the gun shot great. I used the remove the bolt and look through the barrel technique of bore sighting. My first shot was an inch from the X, high and to the left. The next 3 shots were about 2.5 inches high and left, in a small cluster measuring .509 end to end on my digital calipers. I was just using some Winchester "big game" ammo. Is that a .201 group? I was pretty excited about the group, and didn't want to mess it up, so I pulled it down, and used another target. Pretty juvenile, I know.:D The next 6 shots measured .877. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Oh, I almost forgot. The break/recoil pad combo on this rifle makes it very comfortable to shoot. A guy at the range, said that it was loud. From the shooter position it didn't seem too bad. I shot this cal. before, in the configuration it was a lot less punishing.

That's good to hear. Your the first to shed any light on this new series of rifle. Wish I could be there to experience it with you. I am always hungry to try new equipment. Just can't afford to do it. Thanks for the heads up.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.