New Gun...Shooting Tomorrow!

Load, how big of a deal was the detachable mag conversion on the stock. Great looking gun, by the way. I like the look of the Ultimate SS. Thanks for the bullet advise, guys.

Load, how big of a deal was the detachable mag conversion on the stock. Great looking gun, by the way. I like the look of the Ultimate SS. Thanks for the bullet advise, guys.
that mag was a pain in the but! savage shooter supply has detach mag conversion but not in a 8 round mag.
i started with a kuick klip kit for remington 700 platforms. i had to cut the whole front section and cut and mill the rear section to get it to fit inbetween the alluminum bedding blocks. then i scored grooves in the side of it and fit and epoxied it into place. i also have to adjust the feed lips and follower to get it to work right. the funny thing is that the 3 round mag worked without any adjustments(wiskey tango foxtrot, over?!) i also did one on an older savage 116. it had a factory stock and i didn't have to remove as much material on the mag housing.
on retospect i would have gone with a remington mag housing as magazines are easier to find.

Last edited:
How do you like that scope? I was seriously considering one and they were unavailable at the time. Nice stick too!

Tank
love the scope everyone that looks through it comments on how clear and bright it is. tracks greats, repeatable everytime and the range i shoot at has 800 1000 1200 1400 yrds lines and a steel plate (public land) im typically shootin at the 1200 and 1400. there is also a yrd line set up at 1760. not a problem or complaint!

heres a pic of the 1400 yrd line with my camera on full zoom look at the group of trees at the top of the mountain just down and to the right, on the middle of the ridge, youll see a small white spot. that is a 4' "x" with a steel plate in the middle
100_1807.jpg

well enouph of my gun i want to see pics of this savage fcp-k!!!

Last edited:
love the scope everyone that looks through it comments on how clear and bright it is. tracks greats, repeatable everytime and the range i shoot at has 800 1000 1200 1400 yrd steel plates (public land) im typically shootin at the 1200 and 1400. there is also "x"s and a steel plate set up at 1760. not a problem or complaint!
well enouph of my gun i want to see pics of this savage fcp-k!!!

That's some good feed back on the scope. I have yet to read anything worth my time on it. It's so new that people just don't use it a whole lot yet. I have heard some people complaining about the quality. I was curious as to what the glass would be like at long distance and through the different power settings. What power do you use when shooting the 1200 and 1400 target? Thanks for your time.

Tank

Last edited:
i use 25 power at that range. it is clear enouph to see 2 and 3" stones easy at 1400 yrds. ive counted antler tines on deer at 1600 (on the elk hunt of course lol) it grays just slightly at 25 and eye releaf is about 1/2 inch shorter. the graying is negligable and it is still bright at that setting even at dusk. at 25 the mills are 1/2 mills which help with ranging. i would recommend it for anyone on a budget.

sorry for the highjack

Last edited:
Tank, you talked about using the heavier .308 bullets. I was thinking about trying the Hornady 208 A-Max's with some IMR 4350. Could that round do double duty? Hunting and Target?

Tank, you talked about using the heavier .308 bullets. I was thinking about trying the Hornady 208 A-Max's with some IMR 4350. Could that round do double duty? Hunting and Target?

Yep... sure will. That is why I currently use it in my 300WSM. It gives me the ballistics that I am looking for, for long range target and hunting. This rifle is a dedicated long range varminter and deer rifle. My farthest to date is 630yrds and 605yrds through the melon of a groundhog. I have hits on steel at 1070yrds. Not quite the group I was looking for, but that was later to be found out it was the barrel going bad. Some will say not to use them short range, and I can agree to a point, but if you take soft body shots and try not to put them through the shoulders you will be okay. The head is always a quick kill too! Now at farther distances, enough speed will be scrubbed off that it will act more appropriately for hard target hits like the shoulders and the like. I would suggest 400+ yards for pinning the shoulders.

Tank

Thanks I'm new to reloading. I have most of the things that I need. I was looking for a bullet, hopefully my gun likes them. Any advise or things I should know about the reloading these?

Thanks I'm new to reloading. I have most of the things that I need. I was looking for a bullet, hopefully my gun likes them. Any advise or things I should know about the reloading these?

Yep, use the bullet seater and put in the brass!!!! ;) Just kidding!!!:D

I haven't had much luck stuffing them into the lands. I generally seat them about .015 to .010" from the lands. You may be able to seat closer and if you are stuffing it in to a magazine then you might be able to seat them farther. You'll have to just play around. What I do is set the desired length and do load tests (3 rnds. per load) moving in .5grn increments. I generally find an accuracy node this way. Then I test it again with a 5 shot string to verify.

Make sure you pressure test first finding your max load. Not owning a 300WM my loads in the WSM are about 10grns. less powder.

Tank

Yep, use the bullet seater and put in the brass!!!! ;) Just kidding!!!:D

I haven't had much luck stuffing them into the lands. I generally seat them about .015 to .010" from the lands. You may be able to seat closer and if you are stuffing it in to a magazine then you might be able to seat them farther. You'll have to just play around. What I do is set the desired length and do load tests (3 rnds. per load) moving in .5grn increments. I generally find an accuracy node this way. Then I test it again with a 5 shot string to verify.

Make sure you pressure test first finding your max load. Not owning a 300WM my loads in the WSM are about 10grns. less powder.

Tank
in a .300 wm it can be dangerous to go to low(big muzzle flashes and high pressures)!

start at minimum recommended specs and work up. i too use the .5 grain method then go to tenths and seating depths.

in a .300 wm it can be dangerous to go to low(big muzzle flashes and high pressures)!

start at minimum recommended specs and work up. i too use the .5 grain method then go to tenths and seating depths.

I know that, but mag length should not be an issue. The greater issue is the length of the tip to ogive that would cause it to jump quite a bit. The bullet measures 1.521" which is a fairly long bullet. Almost half of that length is the taper to the ogive.

I have read an article on 6mmbr.com where a guy using a .284 Win. actually seats a hair bellow the ogive because the bullet is to long to seat to the lands. If I remember correctly, he is using the 162 A-Max. If you work the powder up slowly, pressures should be seen before it becomes a safety issue. I have a feeling that mag length would not seat his bullet that deeply.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.