New gun, Savage 12fv

LanceK

I decided to get me a new gun. I really wanted to get something I could shoot a lot and work on my load development, reloading and shooting skills. I decided to get a savage 12fv in .308. It seems like a good deal and will fit what I wanted to do with it, plus be a good staring point to build from if I want to, down the road. I am going to start load development with 168gr match kings and IMR 4064. Any idea of how many rounds it will take for the barrel to settle down and be ready to start load development? Anyone else have one of these guns?

My father and I both bought one of those in 22-250 for builds. Mine ended up being a 6.5 cm and his is now a 22-250AI with a 8 twist. They were both very accurate rifles. Mine was easily a sub .5 moa rifle without a heck of alot of work. To be perfectly honest I was shocked at the level of accuracy that rifle gave. When I replaced the Tupperware stock it got even better.

While doing break in work do your seating testing to see where the rifle wants to shoot the bullet. Your load data will give you an idea with virgin brass at what speed your rifle wants to shoot that bullet. Once you have both of those data points your barrel should be gtg. 4064 has been super accurate for me but always slower than at the top pressures. You have a 10 twist so you can shoot the heavies for much better wind defying performance.
+1 on the stock. I'd get a boyds prairie varmint with the adjustable cheek piece for a budget stock. If your serious a chassis. For $349 a KRG Bravo MDT is bringing the Onyx at 399. Then you have choices that start at 699 when configured. This allows for AICS mags and any barrel contour along with a crazy amount of adjustability. The 308 has great barrel life a ton of information and is easy to tune.
I'd order this kit follow the directions and when your done your barrel is going to be settled in.
http://www.davidtubb.com/final-finish-bullet-kits/finalfinish-bulletkit-308

I have one in 308. It shoots sub-.5 moa all day. Got mine for $300 at local Cabelas. I think they are a diamond in the rough. Mine was a shooter from first shot. Enjoy it.

Got one in 6.5 credmoor. 200 bucks after rebate and black friday sale. 1/2 moa with 140 eldm and H4350. Also picked up a gen 1 viper pst for 499 in the bargain cave. Tempted to replace the stock but the **** thing shoots so well I hate to mess with it. Mine took very little break in.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts