New gun or build?

Beaudean09

Alright this will be my first long range rifle prolly just range shooting. But im debating on just buying the ruger precision rifle in a 6.5 creedmoor, or i have a remington 700 adl heavy barrel 22-250. If i decide to build the 22-250 i would like to go with a tac21 chassis system or similiar with a drop out mag system with new trigger etc. what would yalls suggestions be? Mainly be shooting 5-600 yds but may step out longer if i can find a range that long. Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance!

If you're just getting started into long range shooting, and don't hand load, I'd go buy the Ruger. I've seen them used at the PRS, and a few other long range precision tactical events, and I've heard they're working very well. One guy did have a custom barrel installed on his Ruger, but kept the same cartridge in 6.5 Creedmoor. Which is a good round, and now there's more and more factory ammo being loaded for it.

You're other route will be more expensive in the end, and take longer to get into your hands. The money you'll save buying vs. building a gun will save you money to buy a great or better scope!

Good luck.

Yeah i shot the ruger last week and thats what got me hooked lmao! And i figured it would be about the same if not more for the build but just didnt know if it would be a "better" route. But thats prolly what il do man i appreciate it

Of the two items you mentioned, I'd go with the RPR. I have a few and I'm very impressed with them so far. My target RPR has a NF Benchrest scope on it. My friend has the exact setup as me and hit targets at 460 and 741 yards last weekend on his first attempts. Prior to last weekend, his farthest attempted shot was around 120 yards.

Yeah, but I bet later on down the road you will have the 'itch' for a custom. I say spend the money now and avoid the loss upfront.

Voice of experience.

Alright this will be my first long range rifle prolly just range shooting. But im debating on just buying the ruger precision rifle in a 6.5 creedmoor, or i have a remington 700 adl heavy barrel 22-250. If i decide to build the 22-250 i would like to go with a tac21 chassis system or similiar with a drop out mag system with new trigger etc. what would yalls suggestions be? Mainly be shooting 5-600 yds but may step out longer if i can find a range that long. Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance!

lightbulbI always start with a realistic budget (what I can afford/willing and able to spend) and go from there.lightbulb

Yeah, but I bet later on down the road you will have the 'itch' for a custom. I say spend the money now and avoid the loss upfront.

Voice of experience.

Normally I would agree but since the OP is new to this I don't think he can make an informed decision on a build. Yeah we can tell him what WE THINK he should build, but with 0 LR experience it will be very hard for him to truly build what HE WANTS. I would get the Creed and learn the game and then build. Hard to build a tool for a job if you have never done the job or even been around it. Yeah you may have a set of blueprints but it's not really YOURS.

Thats a good point. Il prolly get the creed use it for a range gun and just use the 22-250 for a coyote gun. Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.