New gun build for LR Whitetail and Muley’s

I love the 280, both in the Remington dress and in Ackley form, I also really like 6.5x55 AI which will deliver near 3000FPS with a 140 class bullet if you roll your own. Those speeds are very close to the PRC with a little more magazine capacity and less recoil. I was seriously considering a 6.5 PRC build but it doesn't add enough velocity to out perform the 6.5x55 AI in any real world scenario or at least in my world. I'm not a big fan of magnums since I like to eat more of what I shoot and I can watch impact with a less than magnum cartridge. I also like my 270, Hornady 145 ELDX works great a pretty long ranges, Last season I used it and took a buck at 404yds with a neck shot, DRT. 270 WSM would be even better at longer ranges.

Three things that struck home with me. Long range, getting old, and the 3rd your being from Pa.
First off at least in Pa where you will apparently be doing most of your hunting, long range means hunting from a fixed location with large binoculars. Since you already have a gun chambered in a good cartridge, you should consider the binoculars before another gun. By far, the most important item for a long range hunter is his binoculars, and the large tripod mounted ones are a must thing to have.
Twin spotters in a bracket are by far the most popular in Pa.
Beyond that, and since you will be hunting from fixed locations, consider a heavier gun with a longer barrel, and i wouldnt be ruling out the cartridge you already have.
By all means a muzzel brake, and more so for seeing hits than recoil, which a heavier gun will help with also.
A custom gun usually means a gunsmith, and fortunately for you there are quite a few very good ones in Pa who also hunt long range and could offer good advise.
The good ones are always busy, but the phone calls and questions are free, and might be enlightening for you.
As for the age, your never to old to hunt long range Pa style so long as you have good vision and a couple of young companions.

While there are quite a few calibers/cartridges that are very effective for deer, my personal favorite for the last dozen years or so is my 6.5x284 running 140 class bullets at 3000FPS. It has proven to be deadly from 500-1000 yards on a couple of dozen whitetails and mule deer, including the big Alberta fellas. When using a 6.5(or any other caliber) past 700 yards, a high BC bullet that retains velocity, and has good expansion at your max range is critical.

I think if you are looking for a good all around rifle well I would go with fierce 30 nosler And hand load they are pretty good at any range you shoot I have 2 of them and I really like them ,good luck on your picks

The 6.5-284 and the 300 Win. Mag. you have will both work just fine. If your wonting another caliber/cartridge most any 26, 27, or 28 caliber will work, and since your doing a custom build you can and should do a fast twist barrel so you can use any of the high BC bullets available. If your wanting to stay with a 30 cal. the 308 win. and 30-06 with faster twist barrels will work too. If your willing to do a wildcat the sky is the limit. We are fortunate enough to have more rifle caliber/cartridge choses then we can keep up with. Their all good if the rifle is built right, you use the right bullet, and are able to shoot it well.

hows bout just re-barrel your current 300?? make it into a custom. Brux, kreiger, douglas, etc all make good tubes. Magpul, stockyes stocks, etc. and some good American or German glass. A 200gr NoslerAB will take down just about everything the average hunter points it at out to 900+ yrds.

Isn't the 6.5 CM always the best answer :)
Honestly, are you really going to shoot 1000 yards on animals?
Because day-to-day the 308 is easy to shoot and kill animals out to most reasonable/often shot distances.
The 300 wm is perhaps the most versatile cartage out there. But I'd ditch the browning platform - not a fan.
Bigger is better - usually.
If you'd like another option, consider the 257 weatherly, this cartridge is like a death ray.

Three things that struck home with me. Long range, getting old, and the 3rd your being from Pa.
First off at least in Pa where you will apparently be doing most of your hunting, long range means hunting from a fixed location with large binoculars. Since you already have a gun chambered in a good cartridge, you should consider the binoculars before another gun. By far, the most important item for a long range hunter is his binoculars, and the large tripod mounted ones are a must thing to have.
Twin spotters in a bracket are by far the most popular in Pa.
Beyond that, and since you will be hunting from fixed locations, consider a heavier gun with a longer barrel, and i wouldnt be ruling out the cartridge you already have.
By all means a muzzel brake, and more so for seeing hits than recoil, which a heavier gun will help with also.
A custom gun usually means a gunsmith, and fortunately for you there are quite a few very good ones in Pa who also hunt long range and could offer good advise.
The good ones are always busy, but the phone calls and questions are free, and might be enlightening for you.
As for the age, your never to old to hunt long range Pa style so long as you have good vision and a couple of young companions.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually live in Pennsylvania but haven't hunted here in over 10 years. I do most of my hunting in other states. Got talking to a friend of mine the other day about what I wanted to do and I also spoke with Chad McCauslen over McCauslin rifles. Haven't made a final decision yet but may take what I've built so far and re-barrel it . Really appreciate everyone's input

hows bout just re-barrel your current 300?? make it into a custom. Brux, kreiger, douglas, etc all make good tubes. Magpul, stockyes stocks, etc. and some good American or German glass. A 200gr NoslerAB will take down just about everything the average hunter points it at out to 900+ yrds.
It's funny you should mention this. A friend of mine who I shoot with was talking about the very same thing. He said why don't you re-barrel your browning a bolt since everything else is already set up and bring a fresh barrel to the game. I thought about this some more and the cost of the rebuild Would certainly be less leaving me some money to possibly take a trip out west. I'm going to be reaching out to Chad McCauslin over at McCauslin rifles to get some thoughts from him on this as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.