New gun build for LR Whitetail and Muley’s

There's a lot of good choices out there for what you want to do. If you aren't going to reload I would say a 6.5 prc would be nice. If you are going to reload then there's a ton of great cartridges: 7mm rem mag, 7mm saum, 280ai, 6.5 saum, 264 win mag just to name a few. If you are set on a short action I would go for the 6.5 gap 4s. All the 7mm rounds I mentioned would be best in a long action.

@djfergus pretty much covered it, I will add the 300 Win Mag to that list though.

Now I'd choose the 7mm Rem Mag but that just me, I'm a 7mm fan.
Same here for the 7mm rem mag. It's ballistics with 180s & up are hard to beat. I run a 180 eld at 2860 easily. I would have to run my 147 elds up to around 3150fps or more to match the wind wind resistance of the 180 @ 2860fps.

More info please. Is recoil a factor? What kind of distances do you plan to shoot? Most of the above choices are great. Do you reload or do you want readily available ammo to shoot?
I currently have a browning 300 WinMag which I've been working on for years. Shoots pretty well out to 800 probably not is good is the guns you guys have but it's the best I can do with what I have. With this build it will be my first custom. I like the 300 WinMag as long as it has a muzzle brake on it. Just didn't know if I wanted two of them. When I first started doing work on my Browning (Boyds stock, pillar bed, ELDX loads H1000 powder, 0.015 jump) the plan was for an elk hunt. I now realize the elk hunts are out of my price range so I'm looking more for some thing for my every year Whitetail hunts and hopefully In a couple years I may be able to do a mule deer hunt. I am I suppose preferable to the long action rifle but want to find balance between knockdown power and the game I'm hunting. Perhaps I am looking to reduce recoil a bit. I'm certainly not getting any younger. I do plan to reload. I reload for pretty much everything I shoot. I feel pretty confident reloading.

Last edited:
There's a lot of good choices out there for what you want to do. If you aren't going to reload I would say a 6.5 prc would be nice. If you are going to reload then there's a ton of great cartridges: 7mm rem mag, 7mm saum, 280ai, 6.5 saum, 264 win mag just to name a few. If you are set on a short action I would go for the 6.5 gap 4s. All the 7mm rounds I mentioned would be best in a long action.
Try 270wsm very flat and accurate a little lighter to pack and less recoil

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.