New Glass

drtony

I have a semi custom 300 weatherby that is getting put together by a gunsmith right now. When I get it back, I would like to upgrade my glass. I was wondering if you all would recommend a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56 or a Vortex razor HD gen II 4.5-27x56. As far as I can tell, the Mark 5 has more elevation/windage adjustment and is a full pound lighter. I chose these two for FFP (which I prefer, even in a hunting scope). Open to other suggestions.

What would you recommend I get? This rifle will be my hunting companion for the rest of my life! When I go elk hunting, moose (dream hunt), antelope, big horn (if I am blessed enough to one day) I will be carrying this weatherby!

Out of your choices and could get over the weight the razor for sure, built like a tank great scope best costumer service (I hear, haven't had to use it) I don't have one but have have 2 gen 2 pst's, have played with the razor in stores and a few friends have them, but I think I would look at a Vortex AMG for a hunting scope, Bushnell is a good choice I like mine, and if you can get past not having a life time warranty (i haven't been able to so far but I'm coming around) NF is a great option i hear, I've played with them in store and would love to have an ATACR but I know my luck I would be the 0.001% that mess up and have to be sent in.

I would take the Mark 5 over the razor, but I haven't owned either.

Even the Mark 5 is a HUGE scope for a hunting rifle. Personally I'm looking to a march 3-24x52.

The mark 5 is a nice scope,very clear,nice turrets,and not that heavy for size.Rev indicator and great zero stop.The March mentioned is nice for packing but big jump in price.

Side by side the razor and the mk5 have the similar glass, enough so that I can't tell anything significant apart but the turrets on the razor I think are better. Kind of curious why these two in that price range though?

The rifle is 9lbs with no scope. Does that exclude the razor? Make it a 12lb set up

The AMG is intriguing! Any low light or clarity comparison to Leupold hd glass?

Last edited:
I have a semi custom 300 weatherby that is getting put together by a gunsmith right now. When I get it back, I would like to upgrade my glass. I was wondering if you all would recommend a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56 or a Vortex razor HD gen II 4.5-27x56. As far as I can tell, the Mark 5 has more elevation/windage adjustment and is a full pound lighter. I chose these two for FFP (which I prefer, even in a hunting scope). Open to other suggestions.

What would you recommend I get? This rifle will be my hunting companion for the rest of my life! When I go elk hunting, moose (dream hunt), antelope, big horn (if I am blessed enough to one day) I will be carrying this weatherby!
It's all personal preference but for my two cents; took my two Nightforce scopes off and put them on the shelf to mount my Razor HD gen II's, have the Mark 5 on one RPR but soon to switch out with a Vortex! My opinion and doesn't need any explanation! I also have a Khales but for the money if I didn't already have it, it would be the Razor HD!

Both are excellent choices, I've started running the Zeiss V6 in 5-30x50, 30mm tube. I like em every bit as well as the NF ATACRs I have on several rifles. Good luck with your decision!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.