New gear

Wyodog

Well the Wyoming weather has been mild to say the least and I find myself slipping into daydreams about backcountry mule deer hunting. Fact is, even though hunting is never far from my thoughts, I find that this year I am obsessing about hunting in Wyoming's backcountry more than usual. Spending countless hours studying maps and Google earth, researching new gear, and... well, daydreaming.

So I wanted to start a thread for those of you whom may be having the same issues that I am.

I would like to know what new gear you are planning to use this coming hunting season. As for me, I am trying to lighten my load as much as possible so I will be experimenting with some different gear choices this summer. Ive always used a butane stove but I plan to try and alcohol stove a bit. I got a Sawyer filtration kit for Christmas that is much lighter than my katadyn filter pump. I also will be try a new sleeping bag.

How about you guys?

Check out enlightened equipment quilts. I've yet to use one but tons of guys are swearing by them. Great way to save weight on your sleep system.

I switched from a Barney's yukon pack to a stone glacier sky 7400 and that saves me about 4- 4.5lbs.

I sold my synthetic jacket and pants and am switching to water resistant down. That'll save me another 1.5-2 lbs.

I use a soto micro regulator stove with a titanium jetboil cup with slits cut in the bottom to lock onto the stove. Can't remember the exact weight of that combo but it's crazy light. 8.5 oz all up I think.

Good luck!

Being a Flatlander, I am doing whatever I can to lighten the load. So, this year got rid of the Eberlestock pack and going with a Sitka Flash 2000 for those hunts in and out of camp.

yup ... got the same problem. Almost seems like I never stopped daydreaming after last season and now that I'm going to a new place this upcoming season I am excited and nervous at the same time.

Getting lots of new gear, some because I need it and some to cut weight, but nothing too exotic like it sounds like you've got planned. I needed a new water filter, so I went with a Katadyn pro more for flow rate than light weight. I got a thermarest neo air xtherm pad that is only 1.25 lbs. much better than the 6 lb pad I was packing in. :)

Saving up right now for a new tracker ... I think I'm going to go with the Delorme explorer, but dang those things are expensive. My SPOT tracker died in the middle of my elk hunt last year so I'm hesitant to jump back into another SPOT.

Lots of new hunting clothes since my old ones were pretty much worn out. Unfortunately with my size i'm somewhat limited in the brands I can buy for pants and jackets. I really should get new boots soon, but they're expensive and I spent my money in other places.

Few other things like a new knife and just paired down my gear list to only the essentials. Already stopped drinking coffee so I don't need to pack anything extra for that.

and this isn't backpacking gear, but I just upgraded to a Magnetospeed3 which is night and day difference from my old crapper chronograph I used to have. And have a new custom 338 RUM to go with it. :D

Forgot to mention. The new Ruger super Redhawk .44 Mag and custom holster/belt combo for bear protection this year during the Wyoming archery season.

Forgot to mention. The new Ruger super Redhawk .44 Mag and custom holster/belt combo for bear protection this year during the Wyoming archery season.

+1. I did that a few years back, a standard Redhawk, but I sure like the added insurance with all the bears running around where I hunt.

+1. I did that a few years back, a standard Redhawk, but I sure like the added insurance with all the bears running around where I hunt.

I don't carry a hand gun, but a can of bear spray. I don't have any experience using either a hand gun or the spray on a charging bear (hope I never do) but I have chosen the spray for now.

I don't carry a hand gun, but a can of bear spray. I don't have any experience using either a hand gun or the spray on a charging bear (hope I never do) but I have chosen the spray for now.

Just like you said, hope none of us ever have to use it... but I think bear spray would work for pretty much any black bear we have around here. If Griz or wolves were running around I'm not sure I would feel safe even with a 44!

But outside of hunting season the 44 mag doesn't get much use, and it's fun to feel like a cowboy running around the mountains with a 6-shooter :D

Just one last thing to say about bear spray. Use it on your self right before the bear eats you. You have enough salt in your body too so you should be 'seasoned' up just fine for the bear meal.

In other words, I have two experiences with Griz and bear spray and bear spray is a waste on a charging Griz. Fire power is the only solution.

Will a .44 mag be sufficient? Hope so. It will be better than a bow with arrow.

I always wondered if anyone had any first had experience with the bear spray, I have always packed a pistol and always thought to myself that a can of bear spray sure is a lot lighter.

I am going on 50 and just getting into the pack in thing and have been accumulating stuff and I sure appreciate the first hand knowledge that this site has!! Thanks to all!!

My brother being an inconsiderate idiot gave ALL of our camping gear away without even talking to me after my dad died so I've been starting over from scratch so threads like these have been very helpful for me the last few years.

I'm always on the hunt for gear and like the OP have more time in the off season to work on it, or to be more accurate, "obsess on it".

One of my main concerns has been clothing since cold and wet just make me flat out miserable and of course when hunting you go quickly from extreme activity where you overheat and sweat easily to sitting in a hide or on the side of a hill glassing for hours. This is a recipe for hypothermia and fast.

I was put off by the price of Sitka Gear but have picked up a few pieces here and there and found it to pretty well be worth the price.

One of the best finds I have come across are their "90%" pants and jackets and the "Timberline" pants.

Wearing just one layer of Under Armour Cold Gear leggings under the Timberline pants I have found I'm completely comfortable even in wind chills between 0-20' and if it's colder than that just adding a layer of Merino long johns on top of the UA CG's makes me completely toasty.

Wearing one layer of the UA CG fitted topped with a layer of the non fitted CG and a Carhartt long sleeve Henlee under the 90% Jacket keeps me completely comfortable under the same circumstances. That's a whole lot of protection from the elements in a very lightweight, layered solution.

One of the best features of the Timberline pants are the built in suspenders and the "tacky layer" of material around the inside of the beltline. This is something I"ve never seen before and it really works, locking your pants to your shirt thus keeping your pants up and debris out of them.

I'm working on a new tent and am probably going to go with a North Face Mountain Tent or Bastion the latter appearing to be a civilian version of their ECWS military 4 season tent. I'm hoping the spring sales coincide with me having a few extra bucks when they roll around.

I've got the basic "keep you alive" gear for most any circumstance so now I'm working on making an extended trip into the back country more comfortable.

I've got a trip to Africa planned for July though so the tent will probably be my only major addition to the gear room for this year.

I always wondered if anyone had any first had experience with the bear spray, I have always packed a pistol and always thought to myself that a can of bear spray sure is a lot lighter.

I am going on 50 and just getting into the pack in thing and have been accumulating stuff and I sure appreciate the first hand knowledge that this site has!! Thanks to all!!
Everything I've heard from people I trust who live in bear country tells me that Grizzlies, Browns, Kodiacs all consider bear spray to be a condiment to be used while eating the person spraying them.

It seems to be about 50/50 on black bears.

When I bear country I'll save my pepper for dinner and keep my Taurus 425's handy. It's a five shot 4.5" .41mag that is light, easy to handy and totally "bear proof" when used appropriately.

I pretty much only hunt in Idaho which means that the grizzlies are few and far between, I have stumbled into a couple of black bears and in general they rarely want any thing to do with you, but there is always the possibility. The cougars and wolves have been more of concerned to me while elk hunting with a bow. Heard to many story's of guys being stalked or followed my cougars. I have been packing a .44 special which will work for now.

I have started collecting items for backpacking trips starting with EXO 3500 pack and have a Mountainsmith xl shelter coming, already have a Cabelas down mummy that I will start with and have most of the smaller things, just need to come up with a bed pad and a water filter system and I think that I will be set for the time being?

Getting this thread back on track about new gear... Wyodog, you mentioned you might try a new alcohol stove. Curious what that entails. I've never given stoves much thought other than I want something small and light.

I've used the same MSR Pocket Rocket for close to a decade now without a single problem. mtnclimber, I checked out that Soto micro regulator stove you mentioned and it more or less looks just like my MSR pocket rocket. Is there much of a difference between the two? I've never researched or used anything other than my MSR so I really don't know.

I also use the MSR "titan kettle" to boil water ... very light and durable. I'm sure the jetboil cups/pots with the fins are more efficient, but they are also a bit heavier. Do you think they are worth it over something simple like the titan kettle I'm using right now?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.