New from NH

NHGriff

Hello,
I'm glad I found this site as long distance hunting is something that I would love to pursue. I currently own calibers that would be best for shorter New England style hunting and my most recent kills have been with a muzzle loader. However I'm going out to Kansas this year for a combo bird and deer hunt with some friends. Last year we went only for the pheasant and wished we had deer tags. So I'm looking to gain as much information on a good caliber and gun for a 500 yard shot on deer.
It appears right now that I can only shoot white tails as a non resident because muleys require an archery or muzzle loader license first. Am I correct?

Any way...thanks for all the info I've already picked up in the short time I've been here.

Oh yeah...a NHGriff is short for a New Hampshire wire haired pointing griffon. Great versatile dog.

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Are the NHGriggs used for hunting...if so what type? Enjoy.

Thanks for the welcomes. Yes Griffon's are a european pointing breed. Mostly used for upland birds. He's only 1 1/2 but so far he has pointed and retrieved; Pheasant, quail, woodcock and a bunch of Grouse here. He is steady to point and shot, he marks the birds while steady then sent for the retrieve. Last year I traveled to Kansas and in zero degree temps with 10 inches of snow we shot our limit each day and never lost a bird.
I've just begun duck work with him and hope to shoot ducks over him this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.