New from Missouri

Countryboy82

Hi there

I'm new to long range shooting. And this looks like the best place to find info. Not sure what else to put on here so I guess I'll see you around the forum.

I am still pretty new myself. this is a place full of great folks that are all shooting towards the same target if you will pardon the pun... welcome

what are you wanting to shoot at? paper or animals or both? what is your budget? what kind of range are you wanting to shoot to?

I'm not sure what kind of rifle, thats how I found the forum surfing the internet tryin to figure out a good starting point.

Paper for now but hunting eventually is gonna happen.

The budget is not very big and from what I've read so far its better to save and spend good money on something nice than buy something cheap that doesn't last.

As far as range I'll have to start small like I said before I'm new and 1000 might be a little out of my reach right now. But that's where I want to get to.

sounds like you are catching on quick. this is a very expensive hobby and its better to buy once and buy right then twice. I have been doing this 5 years and am out to 600 yards now. I am finally having a barrel put on my rem700 and getting stock. using an burris scope for now but am saving for a nightforce.

one way to get started is to buy a Remington 700 in the action length you want to end up with. you can get the SPS models for $550 used sometimes in very good condition but you have to keep your eyes open. lots of times, the .25-06 is a good one because lots of guys don't think of it as a good round because its not popular, and so a pawn shop will be tired of hanging on to it and get rid of it. I got mine for $500 a few years ago shipped to my FFL. if you want to hunt at 1000 yards, you are going to want a long action probably not a short action so this might be a good start for you. you can then put $400-$500 into a burris or Nikon and spend $20 on springs to get your trigger down to about 2.5# and you have yourself a 500-600 yard rifle that you can do lots practicing.

good luck.

Thanks for the help brewer.

The Remington 700 is very popular from what I've seen and the savage axis is the next runner up. But everyone has a different answer for the caliber which is where im at now. I started out thinking .308 but I'm hearing 30-06 and 270 have better velocity at 200+ so any body's input here would be much appreciated.

I want to get started soon but I want the best decision...

Where do you hunt and shoot Countryboy? I live in Missouri too. Like you I was looking to extend my range and found this site. There are many helpful people here. I went with a Rem 700 BDL in .270 win. It is capable of range longer than I at this point. If you want to build on a Savage, look at the Stevens 200 or a Savage 110 Same receiver on both). There is a better after market following for those rifles than for the Axis.

I haven't done any hunting although its something I want to start.

I shoot out in the back yard. When im finished clearing a path down the hill I'm thinking its gonna be around 300 yards. Its southern Jefferson County south of St. Louis.

Id like to stay under $500 since its my first rifle but total budget is $800 im thinking its gonna be another $200 for a better scope. Savage seems to be more accessible around the area but I hear alot about the rem 700 series so im not sure yet.

I love this forum very helpful with few "cocky" people

Thanks for the help brewer.

The Remington 700 is very popular from what I've seen and the savage axis is the next runner up. But everyone has a different answer for the caliber which is where im at now. I started out thinking .308 but I'm hearing 30-06 and 270 have better velocity at 200+ so any body's input here would be much appreciated.

I want to get started soon but I want the best decision...

so its all about what you want. the 308 and the 30-06 are both really good rounds. they both shoot the .308 bullets so your bullet selection is the same (30 cal and the 6.5mm are probably the best choices for bullet selection) with the 30-06 you get a bigger case and so you get more powder so you get more speed so you get more range. the draw back of having a big case is that you get more recoil. I am having a 6.5mm-06 being built now that I have having ported. it should have the recoil of a .243 Winchester. its is going to be a 15# rifle when its all said and done. so I don't think recoil is going to be an issue. however, if I went with a 260 (which is a 6.5mm in a 308 case) I would not get the distance I want. I want to kill an elk at 1250 yards. I don't think I would be comfortable doing that with a 260. there would be people that would argue that a 6.5mm-06 is big enough but there are guys that do it all the time.

Long action rifles will get you to 1000 yards and beyond but not a factory rifle. so getting the right cartridge is not necessarily so vital right now but making sure you have the right length of action and bolt face. a 30-06 is a good choice for many reasons. and though its going to be heavy on the recoil without a heavy rifle and no port, but it can get you started. if you want less recoil so you don't get recoil shy, a 25-06 will be much more comfortable to learn with. or, you could go with a .243 or 308 but then you are locked into a short action.

just my $0.02

I have both a Remington 700 in .270win and a Stevens 200 in .223rem. If you would like and don't mind the drive. I would be willing to spend the afternoon with you at the range and let you shoot both rifles. You could then make a better decision of which action you like better. I live in Williamsburg, which is the 161 mile marker on I-70. Let me know if you are interested.

something else I though of. this will help you get your head around a lot of ballistic data. go to Hornady and take a look at their chart on their loaded ammo. t gives lots of data including: bullet weight, muzzle velocity, velocity at 100 yard increments as well as energy at 100 yard increments. this will give you a really good idea as to what is available and what a particular round can do in relation to other rounds. it helped me a lot when I was just getting started.
http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ballistics/2013-Standard-Ballistics.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts