New Enduron powders

TackDriv3r

Stopped by a gunstore today and grabbed some Enduron powders , 4166, 4451 and 7977 by the pound. I have never tried them, I hear the 4166 is great for the .308 and the 4451 is for the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 7977 for the 7mm and 300 magnums. Burn rate of the 4166 is similar to Varget, 4451 is to H4350 and 7977 is between RL-25 and H1000. The great thing is these powders are insensitive to temp changes.

How have you folks experienced with these new powders and results on the range?

I load the IMR7977 in both a 25-06 rem and a 7 SAUM. It is a small granule powder that is very close to H1000 in burn rate. HbN coated 168 VLD's at 2940fps and HbN coated 115 VLD's at 3231fps. I'd like to give the 4451 a try in my 416 RUM as H414 and R17 have been working nice, but I don't like the velocity drops when the temp dips.

Reuben

I've shot quite a bit of the 7977 in a 280 and 7 mag and remember that it shot very well, but I went with IMR 7828 in the .280 w/ 162s and Retumbo in the 7 mag w/168s & 180s.

3r, tried the 7977 in my .270 Wby mag and groups were fair but honestly tried only 1 seating depth. A friend ran out of H1000 and uses it in his 7mm mag and his 300 Wby and says it is just like H1000. He said it takes a grain or two less to equal his H1000 best load. The 7977 shot well in my son's 7mm mag. Enduron here was a couple dollars per pound higher than the popular Hodgdon last I noticed.

I have used all three in different loads. All shot well but I have not seen a great advantage over other powders. However, my Model 70 Winchester 270WSM with a Bartlein barrel shot lights out with Berger 150VLD and IMR-7977.

Thanks folks for the feedback, I'll try the 300 win Mag with the IMR 7977 and hopefully shoots well. By the way, where are most of the data for charge weights for those listed powders? I do not see much data online except some data from the Hodgdon website which isn't much. I guess I need to start low and work up to find my own data while observing signs of pressure.

3r, I used H1000 data, but started 2 gr less and worked up since several reports of 7977 needed a little less charge.

Tried the 4451 in a 30-06. It pressured up a little faster than H4350 in my rifle. Couldn't get to max book load per Hodgdon and Hornady with the ELDX. Shot well, very dirty too.

Start lower and work up. I will expirement some more if the H4350 continues to be tough to find.

The 4451 looks interesting for the 6.5CM, hopefully it has the temperature stability. I went with Alliant's RL-16 based upon reports of at least as good temperature stability and 100-150ft/s more velocity than H4350. We need more powder options for 6.5CM, that's for sure.

You can find data for the Enduron powder on the Hodgdon web site and Hodgdon publishes a yearly mag with all their data. The latest one has all the Enduron powders including the newest one IMR-4955.

Thanks folks for the feedback, I'll try the 300 win Mag with the IMR 7977 and hopefully shoots well. By the way, where are most of the data for charge weights for those listed powders? I do not see much data online except some data from the Hodgdon website which isn't much. I guess I need to start low and work up to find my own data while observing signs of pressure.

Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

No problem bud, that's where I had to get my test load data when 7977 first came out, because you couldn't find any anywhere else. I'm sure by now it's in manuals, but I haven't bought a new manual in several years...Probably need to upgrade to the Nosler 8. Hoping that when Berger releases a new one, it will have some of the AI cartridges, and the new Enduron powders, like 7977.

I have some 7977 stashed up, but haven't had time to test over the last couple years, as life has had some unexpected twists and turns... But hopefully now that things are settling in, I will be able to get some trigger time to test it. I already have some loaded up for the 7mm STW with the Berger 180 Hybrids (when I first got the 7977), but haven't been able to test them yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.