New ELR world record set with a factory Savage 338 lapua!

gohring3006

24A0F05F-5573-4420-A527-0DF04B02E5BA.png

Hmm... yeah, That does require a bit of an explanation... it really displays an incredible aptitude behind the trigger, dedication to loading, shooting and the myriad of other things that go into something of this nature. ( a fair bit of luck too!) No fancy-schmancy custom this and that. A factory barreled action on a nice foundation, a good trigger and rest, obvious prowess from the nut at the helm. I'm not a fan of the looks of a Savage action, but they really do seem to be a great rifle overall.
Guess the "lol" came from the image I have in my head of this guy showing up at the firing line with (as the title says) a factory Savage 338 lapua and vortex scope. He's obviously laughed at by the guys running $15000 setups (remember this is the image in my head, not how I envision guys at the competition) He then proceeds to shoot a 30" vertical by 4" horizontal group at 2158 yards....
not a full and adequate depiction, but it was my initial reaction. No offense meant. I maybe made a *rule 4 violation* out of myself, but that dude can freaking drive that Savage! That's why the "LOL" anyways...
Congratulations Randy!

Hmm... yeah, That does require a bit of an explanation... it really displays an incredible aptitude behind the trigger, dedication to loading, shooting and the myriad of other things that go into something of this nature. ( a fair bit of luck too!) No fancy-schmancy custom this and that. A factory barreled action on a nice foundation, a good trigger and rest, obvious prowess from the nut at the helm. I'm not a fan of the looks of a Savage action, but they really do seem to be a great rifle overall.
Guess the "lol" came from the image I have in my head of this guy showing up at the firing line with (as the title says) a factory Savage 338 lapua and vortex scope. He's obviously laughed at by the guys running $15000 setups (remember this is the image in my head, not how I envision guys at the competition) He then proceeds to shoot a 30" vertical by 4" horizontal group at 2158 yards....
not a full and adequate depiction, but it was my initial reaction. No offense meant. I maybe made a *rule 4 violation* out of myself, but that dude can freaking drive that Savage! That's why the "LOL" anyways...
He's actually a local guy here in Ohio, he shoots a .223 pistol most of the time at our local 1000 yard range. he's always in the top ten of finishers, and quite often in first place. He's a wind master. He made me rethink getting rid of my 112 338.

Man, I'm watching the threads on the 37XC, looking at the snipe-tac, Barrett, chey-tac rifles... they all look awesome and probably are. But, Randy's groups with a mere 338 lapua (I know...) at nearly a mile and a quarter look like mine at a quarter mile! Helps me not need to keep up with the Jones's in the rifle dept. just shut up, shoot, learn and get good. Again, amazing accomplishment!

Man, I'm watching the threads on the 37XC, looking at the snipe-tac, Barrett, chey-tac rifles... they all look awesome and probably are. But, Randy's groups with a mere 338 lapua (I know...) at nearly a mile and a quarter look like mine at a quarter mile! Helps me not need to keep up with the Jones's in the rifle dept. just shut up, shoot, learn and get good. Again, amazing accomplishment!

I got a comp coming up. I'm using a tikka Tac in .223 with a manners stock just torqued to spec. It has a Bushnell DMRII. I definitely know what you mean. You feel judged and not taken seriously. Kudos to this guy for his serious skill!!

1. Congrats to this guy, awesome achievement.
  2. You're going to be judged by someone either way.
  3. I can't wait to score a 110fcp with a golden eagle off armslist next year after billy gets worked in the shoulder brain and wallet by the combo he purchases this weekend at Cabelas

Love it! Reminds me of a 1990's National Match shoot when I showed up with a off-the-rack varmint rifle only modified with a trigger job and a set of Redfield Palma sights. I shot a 491-18x and won that match against numerous high dollar comp rifles. As usual, it comes down the the loose nut behind the stock.

Congrats to the gentleman. I see he is an experienced shooter and has the ability to do that, but with a factory rifle? The stars must have been aligned just right for him. Awesome!!!

Congrats to the gentleman. I see he is an experienced shooter and has the ability to do that, but with a factory rifle? The stars must have been aligned just right for him. Awesome!!!
Allot of the Savage 12's are serious shooters right from the factory. I have a 12LRP that was chambered in 260 Remington that was literally a sub .3 rifle with my hand loads. The most accurate rifle I ever shot off the shelf. I shot it until the throat eroded so bad, that I had to take it to my local gunsmith, and he rechambered it into 6.5 x 47 Lapua. It is still shooting under .5 MOA when I do my part. Just shot 3 shot group at 800 yards a few weeks ago with it, that measured 2.86". The stars aligned for me, I know. The gun shoots better than I do.

The looks/laughs/judgement is probably what I get when I do the opposite and show up to hunt elk with a .375 Snipetac.:D Folks gonna judge no matter what you do. There are plenty of guys on this site that judge you when you hunt long range.:rolleyes: Imagine what that fella could have done with something ballistically "better", he was obviously on his game that day.
My first long range rifle was a 112 in 7mm RemMag, one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. How's this for a laugh; the thought has popped up in my head more than once to sell my amazingly accurate full custom .375 Snipetac and doing what jasent is doing with a 112 Savage .338 and turning it into a XC (except I'd want the .33 version, probably carbon wrapped barrel). I would just like the lighter rifle and sacrificing a little performance doesn't bother me...much. Crazy huh?!o_O

It seems like it is a lot easier for the "stars to align" nowadays with factory rifles - there is a lot of good stuff out there. Some people are stuck in the past where you had to build a custom to get sub 1/2 moa accuracy. Thats just not the case anymore. There are more factory guns than ever before that shoot as well or better than customs.