New ELR world record set with a factory Savage 338 lapua!

The floating bolt head takes alot from the need to "Blue Print" the action. Sure improvements can be made but the fact that the bolt head allows for a perfect alignment of the system, less work is required than with a standard bolt and action. I've had SSS true up a couple Savage actions years ago. It never changed the accuracy of my rifle. Didn't improve it one bit BUT it was certainly a much smoother and cleaner working system.

The floating bolt head takes alot from the need to "Blue Print" the action. Sure improvements can be made but the fact that the bolt head allows for a perfect alignment of the system, less work is required than with a standard bolt and action. I've had SSS true up a couple Savage actions years ago. It never changed the accuracy of my rifle. Didn't improve it one bit BUT it was certainly a much smoother and cleaner working system.
The floating bolt head gives you the warm fuzzy feeling BUT if it's miss aligned what is your firing pin doing, it's common to see the firing pin in these shined up on one side, this is drag, drag effect ignition, ignition effect accuracy.

Don't forget a lot of the Lapua's are factory blueprinted too!

I realize this is a year-old thread ... after breezing through the comments, has no one asked about the other 3 hits on the target (lower left, middle right, top right edge)? ELR Central says there can only be 3 hits on target to qualify for a world record ... not saying it isn't impressive otherwise, just curious.

edit: is it possible those are other guy's misses? (judging from all the holes in the lane identifier signs)

The floating bolt head gives you the warm fuzzy feeling BUT if it's miss aligned what is your firing pin doing, it's common to see the firing pin in these shined up on one side, this is drag, drag effect ignition, ignition effect accuracy.

Don't forget a lot of the Lapua's are factory blueprinted too!
IF it's misaligned. It's easy the check and make sure it's true. I've never had one misaligned yet. That's why they shoot so we'll out of the factory. Most are straight and set up properly and the barrels aren't too bad either as factory barrels go. Wasn't aware the Lapua bolt face savages were trued from the factory.

Well Fred from SSS is active on the Savage Shooters site.
So it wouldnt be hard to go there, ask the question and get lots of opinions probably including his.
Frankly there have been some long discussions there about using the Savage action for the 338 Lapua.
He dosent feel they are up to it, and explains why he feels that way.
Fact is there is what they call a sticky there regarding that in the old topics section.

The savage 112 target magnum is beefed up in a few key areas including 9/16" bolt lugs, special heat treat and single shot. Mine has done well with over 300 rounds of 338lapua and over 200 from the 37XC barrel. Jmo based on my experience

When I talked to David Tubb about this build he felt the 112 was the best option for a savage 37XC

Opinions vary. Same is said about the trued up Remington 700 that PT&G offers with a 338 lapua bolt. I personally know 3 guys running that exact action with their 338 Lapua improved rifles running them pretty hot. No problems what so ever. I shot exclusively Savage guns for many years and dealt with Fred for most of those years also. For a factory rifle, it's tough to beat them for shear out of the box accuracy. Pretty much a Remington footprint action shooter now but still own a couple Savage semi custom rifles. Just not enough component options (stocks and triggers mostly) offered for them like the Remington actions. I still recommend the Savage rifle to newbies just getting into shooting LR as it's tough to beat the price and performance of them .

The standard Savage mag action will not support the Lapua though I'd put my face behind one before a Rem 700, the Savage Lapua specific action I have not seen set back or harmed yet and will probably have a couple more coming in soon.

wow....three shots in 30 inches
try 5 shots, try a real groups/score target
three shots is a "record"
sorry not impressed
i'll go away now

wow....three shots in 30 inches
try 5 shots, try a real groups/score target
three shots is a "record"
sorry not impressed
i'll go away now

That includes cold bore, no sighters so I will cut some slack for what their goal is which is cold bore and two followups from a bipod.

Even the group that is shooting BR style 5 shot groups after sighters have a serious time keeping sub MOA but last weekend Tom had a 12 ish inch group at 2K.

yes, for 3 years they have been shooting and proving that it aint easy to put FIVE on the target at 2000.
2 classes, big and heavy and not so big and heavy, bench or prone.
purpose built rifles. go look at the results( in the link on the thread)
sighters are visual impact only, no spotter on a target.
i suppose anyone can claim an event and declare a world record.

how many shooters participated in the three shot event ??
equipment list ?
That includes cold bore, no sighters so I will cut some slack for what their goal is which is cold bore and two followups from a bipod.

Even the group that is shooting BR style 5 shot groups after sighters have a serious time keeping sub MOA but last weekend Tom had a 12 ish inch group at 2K.