New ELR Record, Have You Seen This?

I'm sure I'll get quite a bit of crap for this, but lobbing lead at a target until all your lucky stars finally line up, doesnt really impress me much...To each their own...I appreciate what they do for the sport by pushing the limits to make consistent hits at the longer ranges for us normal folk.
And ,, in the real world, one shot is all you can realistically expect, the second shot , critter will be moving. Still pretty cool, just for fun.

My name is Paul Phillips. I'm the person that was in the article. There is always alot of debate with these exhibition shots and I think it's fun to read everyone's opinion. However, I wanted to clarify that the purpose of this was to test new equipment. To see how far we could impact a plate and look at the science behind it all. A lot of what we are doing is learning on how to be better at ELR. My team placed 1,3,4 out of 80 at the king of 2 miles. We are not just out to claim records. This is just practice. One thing that has not been mentioned is after we finally got a good 4 miles zero we then had several shots in a row within 10-15 feet. This told us that certain projectiles travel through transonic and subsonic much better then others. This is very important in the ELR world. All of this info is very critical in competitions. We take everything we learn and apply It to the next year. We keep learning so much. Another important thing discovered is how much light played a role. Not many people talk about this much in books. We saw up to as much as 50-100 moa difference with just lighting changes.

The next attempt will be at 8000k yards and we will be using a 1 moa target. we will have a video crew on sight and will document this for research purposes. This is all in fun and in the name of science.

We will also be competing at king Of 2 miles in USA, France and Canada if this Covid 19 doesn't cancel them.

We believe that what we are doing is helping us be successful at 2 miles. 2 out of the 5 people that have impacted 2 miles within only 5 shots during the king are on team GPG. Our goal is for to all hit this year.

Another important fact is once we got a zero at 4 miles, the Next day we were within 15 feet on our cold bore shot. We followed up with several 3 shot groups within 15 feet apart. This is a very interesting learning process.

one last point, during the 1990's we attempted to shoot 2000 yards with my 300 win mag only to have 1-3 hits out of 10 impact a 6x6 target. This 300 win mag was the same rifle I made the leech cup shoot off in 97. Fast forward to today, with all of the technology and improved rifles, ammo and ballistic solvers, we have seen 10 in a row at a mile under 14 inches. The point is, we are learning and getting better.

We are just having fun and learning about how to push the limits and get better at ELR.

I hope to see you guys at an ELR match soon

cheers !!

FYI. applied ballistics analytics with cutting edge lasers really do work !! The only reason we can shoot past 2 miles is because of the TACOMHQ Charlie and delta. They are truly amazing products.

Last edited:
My name is Paul Phillips. I'm the person that was in the article. There is always alot of debate with these exhibition shots and I think it's fun to read everyone's opinion. However, I wanted to clarify that the purpose of this was to test new equipment. To see how far we could impact a plate and look at the science behind it all. A lot of what we are doing is learning on how to be better at ELR. My team placed 1,3,4 out of 80 at the king of 2 miles. We are not just out to claim records. This is just practice. One thing that has not been mentioned is after we finally got a good 4 miles zero we then had several shots in a row within 10-15 feet. This told us that certain projectiles travel through transonic and subsonic much better then others. This is very important in the ELR world. All of this info is very critical in competitions. We take everything we learn and apply It to the next year. We keep learning so much. Another important thing discovered is how much light played a role. Not many people talk about this much in books. We saw up to as much as 50-100 moa difference with just lighting changes.

The next attempt will be at 8000k yards and we will be using a 1 moa target. we will have a video crew on sight and will document this for research purposes. This is all in fun and in the name of science.

We will also be competing at king Of 2 miles in USA, France and Canada if this Covid 19 doesn't cancel them.

We believe that what we are doing is helping us be successful at 2 miles. 2 out of the 5 people that have impacted 2 miles within only 5 shots during the king are on team GPG. Our goal is for to all hit this year.

Another important fact is once we got a zero at 4 miles, the Next day we were within 15 feet on our cold bore shot. We followed up with several 3 shot groups within 15 feet apart. This is a very interesting learning process.

one last point, during the 1990's we attempted to shoot 2000 yards with my 300 win mag only to have 1-3 hits out of 10 impact a 6x6 target. This 300 win mag was the same rifle I made the leech cup shoot off in 97. Fast forward to today, with all of the technology and improved rifles, ammo and ballistic solvers, we have seen 10 in a row at a mile under 14 inches. The point is, we are learning and getting better.

We are just having fun and learning about how to push the limits and get better at ELR.

cheers !!

FYI. applied ballistics analytics with cutting edge lasers really do work !! The only reason we can shoot past 2 miles is because of the TACOMHQ Charlie and delta. They are truly amazing products.
What was the velocity of the bullet when it hit the target?

cheers !!

Light is very interesting topic and would like to know more.

When I practise ,I like be in the shade and target.(my hunting is usualy not in direct sunlight).

Light would be good topic.

How can anyone have anything but respect for someone willing to spend the time and money to do things like this? This is exactly how boundaries get pushed. Trying to do things that can't be done is how we move forward.
Keep it up, and thank you for sharing the knowledge you gained for free, even with people that apparently have no idea what a gift is.
Luck? Not a chance.

How can anyone have anything but respect for someone willing to spend the time and money to do things like this? This is exactly how boundaries get pushed. Trying to do things that can't be done is how we move forward.
Keep it up, and thank you for sharing the knowledge you gained for free, even with people that apparently have no idea what a gift is.
Luck? Not a chance.
WELL STATED>>>>>...........LORD know how much time is worth and that is way this SITE HOLDS so such info to help us ALLLLLLLLL.

Dont ask me how far I can shoot because I dont know. My father was small bore champion of CA (22 cal) in the 1930s. I am curently 83 years old and in excellent health (looking forward to 150 years) and my father died 50 years ago. I have been shooting, not competition, all my life. My wife of 65 years died in March. That background led me to this Forum. I needed something to do.

Two weeks ago I purchased a Savage single shot Lapua 338 and started gathering the "kit" to try LR and eventually ELR. Why, because it was cheap and as I said, I needed something to do.

I will most likely never (never say never my father always told me) make such a shot, but that feat, if you can call it that, has inspired me to try this hobby. I said, "if you can call it that", because I too looked at 69 to one and questioned the feat. But, if it had been me the ammo cost, alone, to get the first hit....if ever....would be enough to retire on. But, it WAS an inspiring event!!! My congratulations and undying admiration to the team.

LRTACTICAL said,
"one last point, during the 1990's we attempted to shoot 2000 yards with my 300 win mag only to have 1-3 hits out of 10 impact a 6x6 target. This 300 win mag was the same rifle I made the leech cup shoot off in 97. Fast forward to today, with all of the technology and improved rifles, ammo and ballistic solvers, we have seen 10 in a row at a mile under 14 inches. The point is, we are learning and getting better.
We are just having fun and learning about how to push the limits and get better at ELR."

This I can understand completely. If you are having fun, 69 shots is reasonable, just not reliable. The target isnt moving so it will still be there for the next shot....LOL

I hope I can find support in this hobby from this forum....mostly right now I just need a place to shoot 1000 yds. Longest range I can find in Corpus Christi TX area is 200 yds.!! I have yet to fire the first round from this rifle.

Last edited:
Good to hear directly from Paul.

I would encourage most to read the article posted in the original post. Most of your questions were addressed in the article. Paul clarified that it was an EXHIBITION. Data gathering. The next day all of the rounds were hitting within 15'. Amazing! BTW he's currently in law enforcement and will continue with his company after retirement (per the article). IOW, he's a full time working stiff...

The article says 1* in air temp can cause the round to fall 10-15' long or short, not to mention the effects of light on the optics themselves. Windage has similar effects. The round reaches 2300' in elevation alone. What's the weather doing up there compared to surface conditions? Who can know? Hence the 15' groups after zero.

Pretty impressive. BTW, much of this data is to benefit military research.

I'm happy when I drop an animal at 400 yards with a throat shot. Years ago I targeted the .416 Barrett as my go-to ELR of choice (flat shooting compared to the .50). I was glad to see this team back that up.

Time to do some shopping...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.