New ELR Record, Have You Seen This?

Also read the mention of 2300 feet midrange elevation, that comes out to about 1/8 of the distance. BTW Elmer Kieth in the 50s did some long range work and hit targets at over 400 yds with a snub nosed revolver by marking the misses in the snow and walking the rounds on target. A fine feat but not something that you can depend on for a first round hit.
But after Mr. Keith hit his target he knew the correct hold over and could then repeat the shot. That's how the shots we now commonly make all start. Smooth bore to rifeled barrel to smokeless powder to ect. you have to crawl before you can run🤠

Guy does have some impressive credentials, but this sounds more like an artillery exercise than a rifle shot. Also, the article doesn't mention how big the barn was they were shooting at.
Don't go besmirching the Field Artillery 😉 we can drop steel on target out to 20 miles, the rocket artillery boys can drop accurately to 40 miles. If this had been an artillery exercise, his crew would have been relieved for incompetentce.

No but we did cease fire twice for aircraft flying overhead
Cool, we have airspace reserved to a certain altitude when firing. That does no good with the small civilian airport a quarter mile from one of our main ranges. They like to fly right over treetop level and circle around when they see us out there. We are supposed to have someone in a tower on aircraft watch. The Airforce has rights to our other big range for two hours a day, one in the morning and one after 1200...at their beck and call. That can get annoying, but sometimes a good show.
Well CFAs are self policed anyways, the FAA just wants them to have someone to blame in case the worst happens.

I totally agree. A team of experts using the very latest in technology take 69 shots to hit a target. Now if they did it in 5 shots Id be impressed. Maybe the naysayers should check our "Mark and Sam after work" on youtube. Pretty sure they have hit a target at that distance way under 69 shots. Im no expert or crack shot by any means, but 69 shots with that amount of resources behind you? Nah. Not very impressive comparing it to a husband and wife team who shoot after work.

I am a great fan of Mark and Sam After Work but i am pretty sure their maximum so far is 5000.

Not to take away from his records, but did you know that 81 mm motor has a max range of 6500 meters. With a spotter they can dial them in to home plate plus or minus 10 meters. 69 dummy rounds and they would be all around home plate if not a hit.

I can hit something at 4 mile consistently and that is dirt. Aim high 30 degrees and let it rip. Ha ha. All kidding aside it a lot of skill, knowledge, shooter ability, the best ammo you can make, etc, etc,. I was tring to hit 1 mile and it a whole different ballgame than 1000yrds. What I thouht was a good 1000yard load danced around the mile target all day long never connecting. But it's probably my experience level and not the ammo. Need to practice my wind holds.

Can someone post data that is relevant ? I can only assume data was gathered that would describe total behavior of the bullet during its path in flight. If I wanted to duplicate this ballistic feat, what do I need in terms of "data gathered"?
(Some simplify it as to "where the bullet wants to go" vs "where I want the bullet it to go")

Whats the dope for 4 miles?

Extremely impressive, when an individual or a group of individuals who take a serious amount of time to calculate the necessary amount of bullet drop and twist and atmosphere conditions etc., it's not like we are talking about 1000 yards they are shooting at 4 miles, I figure that it could take many more shots to get to their targeted range but only thing that we should state is congratulations and what type of equipment are you using to achieve this great success. Just amazing what people can do these days. i am very new to inputting any type of information because, I am just a beginner trying to get better at just shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.