New ELR Record, Have You Seen This?

I read this thread with amusement over the squabbling on whether this is a feat worth considerations. Fcuk Yeah it is! Sixty-nine shots. Solid data from each one. The one that hit is just the one to write about, where the others are equally important in getting it there.
There is a statement that, statistically, if you put 1 million chimps at typewriters, there is a high probaility that one would produce a Shakespearean play. I say balderdash - we've had a few billion chimps and we get the likes of Harry Potter and Twilight.
So for all you guys who say you can do it, even if you're just walking one in, go ahead. Try for five miles. Post the newspaper article here.

One of my colleagues is a former army ballistics engineer. Yes, he's very good, and retired. He told me a story about a six mile shot taken before Nixon was in office (to give a vague time).
There was a communist general who would address his troops every morning from the exact same spot. The shooter practiced for months.
Mind you, at six miles, the bullet is traveling almost straight down.
When he took it, there was never any confirmation of a hit, and it was in a country no one could ever enter, but the general was never heard from or observed addressing his troops, ever again.
If it was a hit, man, that dude must have peeled like a banana.

will those work with the march genesis? or not due to the "moving" nature of the genesis scope?
They will work on a Genesis. The units are hugely forgiving for placement: front to rear, up-down, side to side. The Charlie is sensitive in cant. March has used our units in conjunction with their Genesis.

I applaud these guys--all 13 of them. In 1900, two brothers without even a high school education, started their journey to demonstrate manned flight . They had no money, no engineering background, but the had a dream and a ton of drive. 5 years later, after suffering failure after failure, ignoring and perhaps spurred on by the critics, their dream came true when their first airplane lifted off and flew under human control for the great distance of 120 feet.
They would not live to see it, but 64 years later, Man would fly to the moon.
Encourage, not criticize

I'm sure I'll get quite a bit of crap for this, but lobbing lead at a target until all your lucky stars finally line up, doesnt really impress me much...To each their own...I appreciate what they do for the sport by pushing the limits to make consistent hits at the longer ranges for us normal folk.

I totally agree. A team of experts using the very latest in technology take 69 shots to hit a target. Now if they did it in 5 shots Id be impressed. Maybe the naysayers should check our "Mark and Sam after work" on youtube. Pretty sure they have hit a target at that distance way under 69 shots. Im no expert or crack shot by any means, but 69 shots with that amount of resources behind you? Nah. Not very impressive comparing it to a husband and wife team who shoot after work.

69 shots though? A lot of luck there if it takes that many rounds to hit a target is all I'm saying.
Also read the mention of 2300 feet midrange elevation, that comes out to about 1/8 of the distance. BTW Elmer Kieth in the 50s did some long range work and hit targets at over 400 yds with a snub nosed revolver by marking the misses in the snow and walking the rounds on target. A fine feat but not something that you can depend on for a first round hit.

Last edited:
Well..if we're chatting about ELR.....wouldnt the gun on the airplane that rips people in half be a good investment to use for ELR targets.....

Not trying to cut his feat down....just gotta be a rifle that can do better....

I read this thread with amusement over the squabbling on whether this is a feat worth considerations. Fcuk Yeah it is! Sixty-nine shots. Solid data from each one. The one that hit is just the one to write about, where the others are equally important in getting it there.
There is a statement that, statistically, if you put 1 million chimps at typewriters, there is a high probaility that one would produce a Shakespearean play. I say balderdash - we've had a few billion chimps and we get the likes of Harry Potter and Twilight.
So for all you guys who say you can do it, even if you're just walking one in, go ahead. Try for five miles. Post the newspaper article here.

One of my colleagues is a former army ballistics engineer. Yes, he's very good, and retired. He told me a story about a six mile shot taken before Nixon was in office (to give a vague time).
There was a communist general who would address his troops every morning from the exact same spot. The shooter practiced for months.
Mind you, at six miles, the bullet is traveling almost straight down.
When he took it, there was never any confirmation of a hit, and it was in a country no one could ever enter, but the general was never heard from or observed addressing his troops, ever again.
If it was a hit, man, that dude must have peeled like a banana.
Mate. You just contradicted yourself. By sniping at the people commenting that they dont believe the shot it anything to write home about, you then bang on about a guy who took ONE shot as a confirmed kill shot. So are you for or against 69 shots being taken to hit a target at 4 miles? Im confused

Mate. You just contradicted yourself. By sniping at the people commenting that they dont believe the shot it anything to write home about, you then bang on about a guy who took ONE shot as a confirmed kill shot. So are you for or against 69 shots being taken to hit a target at 4 miles? Im confused
Please reread. Hardly a confirmed kill when there was zero access to the Communist bloc nation before the days of detente. Months of preparation imply it wasn't just one shot.
I have zero issue with teams of spotters or 69 shots. If I were Secret Service, I would never rest easy.
The knowledge of logistics and ballistics, gained by just attempting, is invaluable.
In my aforementioned instance, all the knowledge gained from that effort probably went into a black hole because we were supposedly "at peace."

Money can, and will always buy and achieve things us normal people can only dream about, so yes, money plays a big part of it. Not that hard of a concept to grasp. And either way, I have a lot better things to spend probably $50K on than to say I hit a target 1 time at 4 miles....Not really on my high priority list in life of things to accomplish when I make $30K a year.
Well you could get a better job or go to school and get a better job. Hell I bust my *** every day and only make $95k being a stake pounding mud monkey and I just started my build and it ain't no $50,000, second off if you can't shoot worth a crap the best gun and components in the world ain't going to save you. If you don't understand the science hard work and practice behind it and the practice needed you ain't ever going to be able to do it. I owned a setup tac50 and had single digit SD's I don't believe I could hit that target 1 out of 69 times. 22 seconds of flight time. If mother nature farted and it created a 1 mph breeze at that distance you missed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.