New ELR Record, Have You Seen This?

Is it practicle? no.
Does it provide data? Yes
Do I need data to shoot 1000yds, 2000yds, 2500yds?
Was that data available 20yrs ago?
I was not there for this shot but I was there for the 6000yd shot. To note: once the bullet impact was found it took 6 shots to hit the 1moa steel plate. In case you are noting "find the impact" at that distance the solver was approximately 150yds off (it was also off by similar numbers on a second caliber and bullet). Try finding a bullet landing is scrubby desert that is 150yds from where it is supposed to be. To also note the bullets were arriving nose first. The wind hold was nearly a foot ball field to the right with a 17sec time of flight. Costs: most of us are using the tail end of "cost" already spent by someone to prove or obtain data. A few weeks ago we went 8 for 8 at 1820yds using two different guns and calibers- both cold bore (in front of multiple observers). Without the ballistic data it would not have been possible, along with the chrono, bullets, platform, powder etc... each one representing way north of the $50k noted in research to make the shot.
I would not be so inclined to negate this- Paul and others in the group are passionate and anal when it comes for preparation. What is not shown or described is the really important stuff. I promise you things not seen or experienced by any others was noted. Potentially infinitely worthwhile data. I can say we were outside all of the books out there written on long range. It is also interesting the number of rounds that were within 1moa of the target. One of which I still cannot figure out how it missed the plate. From a engagement viewpoint- I would not want three of four Paul's and the equipment used to engage me at 6000 yds. I will stop what I am doing and exit the area. If I am not dead.
All of the equipment was at its edge of capability. Some of the equipment being used/presented a first time. Equipment built specifically to make the shot possible. We built the boxes in front of the scope allowing the system to function north of 600moa. The present requirement was 900moa.
In final I am here for Paul- he is a just plain good guy and no matter what the rifle event is I would be picking him as a first.

Is it practicle? no.
Does it provide data? Yes
Do I need data to shoot 1000yds, 2000yds, 2500yds?
Was that data available 20yrs ago?
I was not there for this shot but I was there for the 6000yd shot. To note: once the bullet impact was found it took 6 shots to hit the 1moa steel plate. In case you are noting "find the impact" at that distance the solver was approximately 150yds off (it was also off by similar numbers on a second caliber and bullet). Try finding a bullet landing is scrubby desert that is 150yds from where it is supposed to be. To also note the bullets were arriving nose first. The wind hold was nearly a foot ball field to the right with a 17sec time of flight. Costs: most of us are using the tail end of "cost" already spent by someone to prove or obtain data. A few weeks ago we went 8 for 8 at 1820yds using two different guns and calibers- both cold bore (in front of multiple observers). Without the ballistic data it would not have been possible, along with the chrono, bullets, platform, powder etc... each one representing way north of the $50k noted in research to make the shot.
I would not be so inclined to negate this- Paul and others in the group are passionate and anal when it comes for preparation. What is not shown or described is the really important stuff. I promise you things not seen or experienced by any others was noted. Potentially infinitely worthwhile data. I can say we were outside all of the books out there written on long range. It is also interesting the number of rounds that were within 1moa of the target. One of which I still cannot figure out how it missed the plate. From a engagement viewpoint- I would not want three of four Paul's and the equipment used to engage me at 6000 yds. I will stop what I am doing and exit the area. If I am not dead.
All of the equipment was at its edge of capability. Some of the equipment being used/presented a first time. Equipment built specifically to make the shot possible. We built the boxes in front of the scope allowing the system to function north of 600moa. The present requirement was 900moa.
In final I am here for Paul- he is a just plain good guy and no matter what the rifle event is I would be picking him as a first.
I agree with all of this. Paul sent me some pics of this event this morning because I asked, Someone asked about the optic setup, I seen where people were bashing him, I decided not to post them because I didn't want to add to the flames.
You can't ask for a better guy, and it should be noted he made hits at that range, People should look into what he can do closer, in other words, he was the best man for the job of shooting that far.
ADD65AA0-F56B-48D8-BDA0-A3CECBA054AA.jpegAC380E6F-16E2-40AD-8D2E-8FBBF9CC5EC1.jpegB1F9CFA7-F78B-4EDB-83AE-848EC5787D01.jpeg25BB92A2-BE7D-4477-A3D3-2F162AFBCC3E.jpeg3D8D943E-A400-4A2D-A336-BF329EC02715.jpeg

I agree with all of this. Paul sent me some pics of this event this morning because I asked, Someone asked about the optic setup, I seen where people were bashing him, I decided not to post them because I didn't want to add to the flames.
You can't ask for a better guy, and it should be noted he made hits at that range, People should look into what he can do closer, in other words, he was the best man for the job of shooting that far.
View attachment 203688View attachment 203689View attachment 203690View attachment 203691View attachment 203692
there are 2 different rifles pictured in those pics, am i right?

is that a "charlie tarac"? or some other device?--almost looks like 2 devices working in unison

Oh but we do, it's called a 105 lol

Seriously, some amazing work and will only advance the sport.
Eventually due to peoples achievements like his it will cause Manufacturers to push the envelope and develop new and better equipment to accomplish the mission. Without people like him pushing the limits we would just be stagnant.
Absolutely 👍

Give me a 416 barrett, a NF or S&B with some special gizmo on the end, an endless supply of ammo, and I'm fairly positive more than a few of us on here could hit a barn door in less than a 100 shots! I have the time, the place, but we dont have deep enough pockets for it, that's really the only thing that keeps any of us normal guys from doing it, is an endless supply of money and resources to hit a target 1 time lol, oh and some luck thrown in for good measure. Good day ya'll :)
It's all about priority. Stop eating at McDonald's and lose a few pounds, improve your health and have enough money to shoot a while 🤠

Thanks for assuming things which you know nothing about. Havent ate at McDonald's in over 5 years, I'm 34 years old at 150# with 5% body fat. I work a 40/hr week physical job, I'd say I'm pretty healthy. Anything else you'd like to add? Lol

Glad you asked! I was there and made the ammo for James DeVolgaer's rifle. I was keeping stats on wind, temp, time of day, station pressure and velocity of each shot fired. SD:8 With all
The data I estimated and it's only possible to estimate this. A hit should be made every 75 shots at that distance if ALL conditions are exactly the same. With a 23second time of flight and variable air density the real probability is closer to 1:200.
here is the real kicker later I used the AB software to estimate and it gave a .68% chance of hitting it at all. My own math shows the possibility of a first round impact to be to be 1:6300. Sooo statistically it did come down to stellar team work and excellent shooting skills.
Thank you for the analysis. From reading that it is clear that skill played a part because the hit probability and number of shots required line up pretty well. It would have said even more if you had kept going to get 2-3 hits but that would probably tax the endurance of the shooter with a big boomer like that.

On the other hand, you're so far beyond the range with useful hit probability that I doubt the lessons learned from your new data will have much impact inside that range with useful hit probability.

It seems to me that increasing the hit probability at extended range should be the next target, rather than backing it up and watching statistics happen. Long range wind reads with Lidar from muzzle to target and getting the SD down to 1-2 seem like the path forward, then take a step backward and try to get double digit hit probability at 4,000 yards.

there are 2 different rifles pictured in those pics, am i right?

is that a "charlie tarac"? or some other device?--almost looks like 2 devices working in unison
There is a TACOMHQ Charlie just in front of his scope -- 2nd generation which allows the user to obtain up to 900moa.
The next Charlie we are making for Paul will exceed 2400moa. May as well get the moon out of the way if you know what I mean. I need to track the air gun guy down- heck with 1200 yds...
The other "box" is a Delta: its main function, in this case, is to look around the barrel of the platform being used for a continued direct line of sight. Other versions are specific to look around can heat or hot barrels.
In extreme instances such as this we usually ask for the rifle so that the optics (scope included) can all be lined up in order to function correctly. Pauls rifle needed a specifict set up to function- and look good. At times this takes custom mounts and rails. Light paths have to be aligned to the primary optics center in order to operate. As these large numbers take place it is quite easy to "shadow" the image into non-existence.

There is a TACOMHQ Charlie just in front of his scope -- 2nd generation which allows the user to obtain up to 900moa.
The next Charlie we are making for Paul will exceed 2400moa. May as well get the moon out of the way if you know what I mean. I need to track the air gun guy down- heck with 1200 yds...
The other "box" is a Delta: its main function, in this case, is to look around the barrel of the platform being used for a continued direct line of sight. Other versions are specific to look around can heat or hot barrels.
In extreme instances such as this we usually ask for the rifle so that the optics (scope included) can all be lined up in order to function correctly. Pauls rifle needed a specifict set up to function- and look good. At times this takes custom mounts and rails. Light paths have to be aligned to the primary optics center in order to operate. As these large numbers take place it is quite easy to "shadow" the image into non-existence.
will those work with the march genesis? or not due to the "moving" nature of the genesis scope?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.