New ELR Record, Have You Seen This?

I'm sure I'll get quite a bit of crap for this, but lobbing lead at a target until all your lucky stars finally line up, doesnt really impress me much...To each their own...I appreciate what they do for the sport by pushing the limits to make consistent hits at the longer ranges for us normal folk.
I get what you are saying, but if you follow and or participate in the shots, it's anything but chance.
So much skill, science and determination goes into every shot made.
It's really a cool thing to see.

69 shots though? A lot of luck there if it takes that many rounds to hit a target is all I'm saying.
Just curious how far can you shoot? I just started trying to shoot long range consistently and it's quite overwhelming at the beginning, COAL, powder charge even getting a consistent cheek weld. I'm sure all you experts forget the beginnings but I really appreciate it, even if it was 69 shots. I can't even imagine seeing 4 miles!

69 shots though? A lot of luck there if it takes that many rounds to hit a target is all I'm saying.
Yep, but many could not hit that shot with 1,000 shots.
Most of these guys are ballistic experts, with beyond expert marksmanship skills.
Although, I know what it looks like to most people, yet 4 miles?...
It is a reason they set this record, you know?...

My rifles can shoot 4 miles at a 30 degree angle I'm sure, never said I could hit anything that far though...hell a 22 LR will shoot a mile, and with enough shots, its do able to hit something at that distance. All I'm saying. Dont get your panties in a bunch now haha. I said I respect what they do, but I just dont see the point in lobbing that much lead to hit a target 1 time. That doesnt really do it for me. Like I said, A LOT of LUCK still goes into that type of shot, and a boat load of money...But to answer your question, 1500 yards is what I can do consistently on good days and still keep a minute of elk group, which is plenty good for me :)

Last edited:
I applaud this, and would bet they wish it had taken fewer shots themselves. I give a thumbs up for honesty, always going to be naysayers.
They lost me when it was said, "do not try this at home folks", I'll stop here. But they are doing this because rednecks were lobbing lead at extreme ranges before it was cool to do so. I know some guys in Utah that were hitting 4K long before the KO2M was formulated.

My rifles can shoot 4 miles at a 30 degree angle I'm sure, never said I could hit anything that far though...hell a 22 LR will shoot a mile, and with enough shots, its do able to hit something at that distance. All I'm saying. Dont get your panties in a bunch now haha. I said I respect what they do, but I just dont see the point in lobbing that much lead to hit a target 1 time. That doesnt really do it for me. Like I said, A LOT of LUCK still goes into that type of shot, and a boat load of money...But to answer your question, 1500 yards is what I can do consistently on good days and still keep a minute of elk group, which is plenty good for me :)
It's definitely not 1 shot one kill/hit as I prefer. Yet, this dude probably thinks 2500yds is close range now...

It would be interesting to see a statistical analysis of a 7,000 yard shot (I didn't read the article). If the rifle was properly aimed each time, how much variation in wind, MV and BC is enough to take it off target?

Looking at his environmental conditions, SD and ES of his ammo and the consistency of his bullets, you can tell how much of a budget he had for aiming with a less than absolutely perfect wind call. That will tell you if it is luck or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts