New ELR bullet

"Tungsten core" avoids wear issues and alloy "deformation". However, I believe, they are illegal.
There are issues with "legality". I thought I had them worked out but I seem to have stored that information safely. Meaning, I don't remember and I don't know where I filed the data.

RockyMntMT, what caliber projectile (bullet) are you considering and what probable rifling twist rate would be needed to stabilize it?
I think that if we can get this figured out there is no reason that we could not make them in any caliber. Twist rate will have to be determined. If the projectiles gain the weight that we are hoping for less twist would be necessary to stabilize them. Although it is shown that for extreme range higher twist rates are desirable. So standard twist rates may work out great.

I have a feeling this is a ways off. Just getting hold of the material that I would like to work with is the 1st big hurdle. Then there are some other hurdles that I can think of and I am sure there will be other ones that are unanticipated.

Steve

I think that if we can get this figured out there is no reason that we could not make them in any caliber. Twist rate will have to be determined. If the projectiles gain the weight that we are hoping for less twist would be necessary to stabilize them. Although it is shown that for extreme range higher twist rates are desirable. So standard twist rates may work out great.

I have a feeling this is a ways off. Just getting hold of the material that I would like to work with is the 1st big hurdle. Then there are some other hurdles that I can think of and I am sure there will be other ones that are unanticipated.

Steve

Wishing you much success in this endeavor. Success for you in this equates to better extreme long range results for us all. Thank you for your imagination, ingenuity, resources, effort and time that you are investing in this, for all of us.

I'm going to be getting some round stock for electrodes at work. I can buy the scrap ends for aluminum scrap rate.

Would probably be enough to play around with. I'll keep an eye out.

FYI the EDM tungsten copper is a higher grade and probably more expensive from EDM suppliers.

Good luck!

Premium bullets premium price. As long as your in the ball park of other premium bullets, more importantly the round performs as you publicize, then it's worth premium expense.

We have something that we are working on. Not sure if the market will bare the cost. So here is the question. How much would the ELR crowd be willing to pay for a bullet with significantly higher bc? Say a 20% increase in bc?

Not looking for how much we can get but whether or not the added expense would be marketable.

Steve
Steve. I have taken a good look at those new bullets and he has them priced at all most 4 times the cost of a comparable bullet and to me I won't buy them at that or even 1/2 of their cost..
Knapper

While I don't compete with anyone but myself. I have watched others compete from rifles to 3D archery. The one thing I have always seen. One guy will pay for the latest and greatest thing to hit the market. Just to gain a fraction of an advantage over his competitors. Once he has gained the advantage the rest will follow just to keep up. This is why sanctioning body's impose cost saving rules. Or create divisions that limit your spending.

Steve. I have taken a good look at those new bullets and he has them priced at all most 4 times the cost of a comparable bullet and to me I won't buy them at that or even 1/2 of their cost..
Knapper
We have not even cut one of the bullets that this thread is related to. It is theoretical at this point. If we can get to the point of making the bullet that is the topic if this thread it will be exponentially more expensive than our current line of hunting bullets due to the highly expensive materials that we are considering making these bullets from.

As far as the cost of our current line of bullets you are correct, they are more expensive than the run of the mill cup and core bullets that are produced at a rate mutiple times faster than a lathe turned bullet can be produced. Our bullets are a precision bullet never varies more than .0002" (2 ten thousandths). They never vary from lot to lot let alone bullet to bullet as cup and core do. So comparing our bullet to a mass production bullet is very apples to oranges.

Steve

We have not even cut one of the bullets that this thread is related to. It is theoretical at this point. If we can get to the point of making the bullet that is the topic if this thread it will be exponentially more expensive than our current line of hunting bullets due to the highly expensive materials that we are considering making these bullets from.

As far as the cost of our current line of bullets you are correct, they are more expensive than the run of the mill cup and core bullets that are produced at a rate mutiple times faster than a lathe turned bullet can be produced. Our bullets are a precision bullet never varies more than .0002" (2 ten thousandths). They never vary from lot to lot let alone bullet to bullet as cup and core do. So comparing our bullet to a mass production bullet is very apples to oranges.

Steve
Steve; I have two Quotes that are on the wall in my office that in this instance and in my case really applies to me..

O Lord, help my words to be gracious and tender today,
For tomorrow I may have to eat them..

Secondly;

It is hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making
decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people
who pay no price for being wrong..

Steve; In both cases, I was wrong and I would like to apologize..

Knapper

Steve; I have two Quotes that are on the wall in my office that in this instance and in my case really applies to me..

O Lord, help my words to be gracious and tender today,
For tomorrow I may have to eat them..

Secondly;

It is hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making
decisions than putting those decisions in the hands of people
who pay no price for being wrong..

Steve; In both cases, I was wrong and I would like to apologize..

Knapper
No sweat. Or apologies needed. All good here Sir.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.