New elk rifle shows some promise

Stormbringer

I aquired a new elk rifle yesterday. I traded a Remington 597 LSHB 22 magnum straight up for a 1987 Remington 700 Classic in 338 Win Mag. The previous owner said the rifle was bedded, had an crisp X-Mark trigger installed and was ported. I took the rifle home, pulled it out of the stock (was super tight), cleaned up the action and some of the so-so home done bedding job. I also floated the barrel and mounted a Nikon 3-9 Prostaff I had laying around. I received in the deal some RCBS dies, 50 WW Brass, 42 225 Accubonds, 40 200 Accubonds, 3 200 Speer Spire Points and 6 215 grain GameKings. I loaded up 12 rounds with a meduim load of H4350 and went to the range.

I was surprised and happy with the results. The rifle weighs nine pounds and with the Magnaport was a pussycat at the range. All shooting was of the bipod with rear bag. Last night I prepped all the brass and installed fresh primers. Time for some load work!

IMAG0064.jpg

Thats awesome. I will be doing my very first elk hunt this year and i cannot wait. i will also be doing a whitetail hunt while im there in montana and im excited for that as well :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.