New elk rifle 340 Weatherby

valleysnyper

Hi guys, havnt been hear in a bit. Been very busy with work. Im picking up my new toy tomorrow a 340 weatherby for my upcoming elk hunt. Before everyone starts screaming, I had a 338 Lapua i shot alot in the past. Wonderong if anyone has any experience with a 340. I am also wondering if a 250 gr partition would hold up on a quartering to shot or thrpugh the shoulder. It will be factory stuff for thos season. Maybe a TSX or TTSX would be a better choice ??
By the way, if this is in wrong place I apologize and can move it....Gary

Which model?

I've used my 340 for elk. No problems with 250 Partition factory loads at 450 yards. Previous owner used 225gr Partition handloads, and I've assembled them but not used it with them for hunting.

Having said that, I would next look at the Hammer line of bullets for it, otherwise Barnes. So far we've had great results with copper bullets, and based on tests today with the Hammer in my 7mm Wby they group incredibly well.

morning, the 340wbee is one great round. mine is a wbee accu-mark
accu-brake, very good trigger. I shoot the 210gr. barnes
TTSX. remember. barnes bullets r very tough. a person
can shoot a heavier bullet, but the construction of barnes
bullets allows the shooter to use a lighter bullet and obtain
the accuracy and higher velocities over heavier bullets.
I have Nikon 6.5x20x44 scope, warne mounts. truly a
hammer. justme gbot tum.

Use the 250 grain Nosler Partion. The 340 was designed to shoot 250 grain bullets and hits like a hammer on elk. I have an use a 340 Wby Accumark and load both the Partions and Accubonds in mine. Love it and always will. I have used a 340 Weatherby in various models for over 25 years. IMO there is nothing better.

Thanks for all the replies. My weatherby is a fibermark. Seems like partitions are the way to go in the 340. Thats what I've been able to find other than spire points. I have a few boxes of spire points for break in amd initial sote in.

I ran factory Barnes 225s and hand loaded 250smks at 3000'. Six bulls, six shots. Great round great rifle. Don't let anyone tell you it gives up anything to anything else..... well, maybe brass...

Killed several elk with a 340 and 300 wby with partition and accubonds, they seem to work equally well just depends on which one your gun shoots better. I shoot a lot and got tired of the punishment so I shoot a 260 and 280rem nowadays. My brother still has his 340, but we built him a 280 last year also. It only took him watching 10 or so elk drop in there tracks with the smaller rounds before he started questioning the need for the larger cal. After saying all that the 340 is a beast, try some Accubond Long Range bullets in it for better BC and you can kill one as far as you can shoot.

Partitions should be easy to load for. Flat base bullets are great to reasonable distances. Higher BCs don't really mean a lot til you stretch her legs out. You'll have a great combo on your hands for anything walking.wby triggers are great! Just swap the spring with one from erniethegunsmith.com and polish some surfaces with 6-800 grit and re install everything. Weatherby has a great instructional on doing a trigger job. Super simple it took me 40 minutes of work with some basic tools and a spring to get a crisp light 1.5# on my old 340.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.