New Edge At 1250

mike33

Had a friend who is a member here invite me up to show and shoot the new edge. This was the first time i have ever got to shoot over 450 yards and what a thrill. Dustin had a bleach jug waiting for me in a field at 1250 yards. I dilaed in and of course missed but it was so darn close. Now using a little windage after a few shots i kept on coming so close then it receive a hole in it. We had another target at 1150 dialed in and hit it the first shot. This gun is so fun to shoot and my friend enjoyed it also. Now i got the lr bug and cant wait to go back. Its sure nice to have a friend only 45 minutes away that has the place to stretch a barrel over 2k. I really didnt believe how far that actually was until i drove beside the field on way home, then it hit wow i actually was shooting that far. Thanks again Dustin.
Mike

Congrats and good shooting Every time i hear a story like this it makes me wish i had an edge even more:)

BigBuck

Sounds like you had a great time. Do it a few more times and if your not hooked yet you will be.

Hey Mike this is Dustin. I just wanted to let all the guys know the gun you have is SWEET!!! I had a blast shooting it last night. The clorox bottle didn't stand a chance at 1250 yds. I've been wanting a 338 Edge for a while and if I do get one I'll have the same gunsmith do one for me. I think you said his name is Travis? He did an excellent job on the rifle. We'll test the gun out at 2000yds soon, hopefully I can get the field mowed to do 2500.... Man the critters on my farm aren't safe.
Let's see, I have a mark 4 spotting scope I just put up for sale on the site..hmm if I sell it without telling my wife I could start funding the project to get the gun going.
Just a thought. Thanks for letting me shoot it!
Dustin

Starter rigs like the ultramags are fun to shoot and really open your eyes when it is your first time shooting long range. Just wait till you take that next step up to something off the 378 wby, full length 416 case or bigger and you will be amazed. Kinda like flying for the first time. That cessna feels realy good and really opens your eyes, then you get the hankering to step up to a fast ride and wow.

Starter rigs like the ultramags are fun to shoot and really open your eyes when it is your first time shooting long range. Just wait till you take that next step up to something off the 378 wby, full length 416 case or bigger and you will be amazed. Kinda like flying for the first time. That cessna feels realy good and really opens your eyes, then you get the hankering to step up to a fast ride and wow.
Just remember im east coast, small deer very few places to even test the edge.
mike

I have two 338-300 ultramags I built back in 98-99. Great rifles and all the ones I did shot very well. I was just saying as good as they are when you step up another couple hundred fps it will open your eyes again and you say wow again.

Im sure it would i know how amazed i was tuesday eve. I notice you dont call it an edge, is yours chambering, etc.?
mike

I worked on a design for the 338-300 ultramag in 98-99 and spent about a year testing it in various forms. By 2001 when the 338 RUM came out I had probably turned out 75-100 of them for elk hunters where I lived in Colorado and the southeast and had it down pretty good. By 2001 so many gunsmiths were doing that one and stamping it 338-300 ultramag I just continue to call it what it is to eliminate confusion. If a guy has a 338-300 ultramag everybody knows exactly what it is. Several shops began calling it by various names in the late 90's and into 2000 and it got way to confusing and nobody knew what they had when they went to sell it. So I just keep it simple and call it what it is. I am sure there are way more out there stamped 338-300 ultra than anything else. Probably easily over 1000 by the turn of the century from all the guys I was in contact with working on designs at the time for this one and the best improved Lapua in 30 and 338 calibers. Still the same gun and shoots great no matter what it is called. On this forum edge seems to be the most popular now. But if you go off this forum not many know what your talking about but everybody everywhere knows what a 338-300 ultramag is.

LTLR, thanks for the history. I thought the term Edge would be more universal on other forums...didn't know that, but good to know.

Chas1, It may be, I am not on other forums so I wouldn't know. But in all my travels all over nobody has a clue what an edge is but the 338-300 ultramag has been quite popular since the 300 came out. I know during the 1999 Colorado elk season about 50 I had done were hunting elk there. I was in contact with several guys around the country doing it also. Most were stamped 338-300 but some shops called it by various names. When the 338 RUM was introduced most names went away because you could buy it over the counter taking away the mystique of having one so most guys quit doing it. Still a great chambering but it will not do anything the 338RUM won't do. They just fill the same niche. If a guy wants smaller he goes with the 338 winny and if he wants bigger then one of the big boys off the chey-tac, rigby, 378 or imp lapua case. The 338 RUM and 338-300 just fill the same gap so most quit doing the 338-300 that I was in contact with back then. The last one I did was 2001 when the 338 RUM came out..

I didnt realize when I was looking into the .338-.300 that the .338 rum was around. I am farily new to the bigger rifles. To me it doesnt make much sense as to why anyone would really go through the sizing a wildcat cartridge if the same thing is available in a production model. With all of the hype that the edge recieves on a few of these websites I thought that this was a pretty special cartridge, but after some research it doesnt really make much sense as to why it is still around with the .338 RUM being available. Just seems like more hassle than is necessary. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but long time long ranger makes some very good points about the niche for this rifle and where it fits in. he seems to know as much as anyone about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.