New dog

KSB209

Been working with dogs since I was born. Just brought home a new lab and wondering if there are any new fancy techniques on training for ducks and upland birds. My oldest dog is 13 and is literally on his last legs. Brought the new one home yesterday hoping my old boy can teach him some tricks but I think he is past that point. Old man has problems getting up sometimes (me too sometimes). I've had pretty good luck training dogs for retrieving
A0FFF622-F1D6-441A-A55B-54E70289A57F.jpeg
in the past but my knowledge is 20+ years old. What's new in the dog training world?

His name is Weller….like the bourbon!

Been working with dogs since I was born. Just brought home a new lab and wondering if there are any new fancy techniques on training for ducks and upland birds. My oldest dog is 13 and is literally on his last legs. Brought the new one home yesterday hoping my old boy can teach him some tricks but I think he is past that point. Old man has problems getting up sometimes (me too sometimes). I've had pretty good luck training dogs for retrievingView attachment 286316 in the past but my knowledge is 20+ years old. What's new in the dog training world?

A toast to a good-looking pup! I am sure you'll do just fine with Weller with your knowledge/experience to guide you. Good luck!

Ed

Great looking dog. The book 'Water Dog' by Richard Wolters is all you need. It is an amazing method and easy, just takes time and consistency. I trained two master hunters a lab and a chess with this book. You will be amazed at what you can teach that dog to do without making him a robot. Good luck!

Great looking dog. The book 'Water Dog' by Richard Wolters is all you need. It is an amazing method and easy, just takes time and consistency. I trained two master hunters a lab and a chess with this book. You will be amazed at what you can teach that dog to do without making him a robot. Good luck!
Use this book as well.

Been working with dogs since I was born. Just brought home a new lab and wondering if there are any new fancy techniques on training for ducks and upland birds. My oldest dog is 13 and is literally on his last legs. Brought the new one home yesterday hoping my old boy can teach him some tricks but I think he is past that point. Old man has problems getting up sometimes (me too sometimes). I've had pretty good luck training dogs for retrievingView attachment 286316 in the past but my knowledge is 20+ years old. What's new in the dog training world?

GREAT PUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, that pup will never be a bird dog. But don't worry, I'll take him off your hands for FREE and spare you the wasted hours and money for training attempts! 😉

He'll give my Brittanys some good exercise keeping up!

Water Dog is considered the "Bible" around here, where waterfowl hunting is #1. As for upland, it might be easier than you think. On our first trip to Canada goose hunting I took a black lab names Butch. He had never hunted anything but ducks and geese. Toward the end of one of the mornings we crippled a goose that went in a windrow a ways off. At the end of the hunt, I took Butch over there to see if he could find it. He did and brought it to me. Then he disobeyed and went back in the cover. He flushed a covey of Grouse that flew right by me and I shot one. He retrieved it. After that, every time we went hunting we had to go all the way around the field and hunt Grouse after we finished Goose hunting. He always hunted close and waited on us. He was a mature dog when this happened, and taught his self to hunt Grouse. We always picked up a few so they must be pretty plentiful up there. The point is it doesn't seem hard to get a good retriever to hunt upland birds. He thought it was a treat. They must taste good.

Recent Posts