New deer rifle

CoyoteKid

I need some advice on a new deer hunting rifle. I am 14 years old and want "a little more gun" to deer hunt with.My first rifle was a .223 Browning A-Bolt.I've shot a 30-06 and am comfortable with the kick. I dont have alot of money to spend, but I would like a .308. I've looked at Savages, I want a reliable gun and i've heard that they are pretty reliable. Please send advice.

How about a Remington Model 710. I have seen them on sale for $300$ thats pretty good. How much are you looking to spend? They come in the cal's listed below with 22in bbl's and 24in for the magnums. Check Remington's web site for a pic. Ask around how the 710 shoots I really don't know I always buy the 700's. You might be better off saving a little bit longer and getting a ADL or BDL. If you can handle 30-06 recoil I would be looking hard at the 7mm Mag or 270 is a good deer round also. I can't tell you any thing about the Savages because I have never owned one. hope this helps!!

MODEL 710™
Caliber Avg. Wt 7 1/4 lb
7mm Mag
30-06
.300 Win Mag

[ 10-27-2004: Message edited by: Tommy B ]

[ 10-27-2004: Message edited by: Tommy B ]

Check out used guns - I have gotten some really good deals in pawn shops. I really like the Win model 70's because of the safety - it is excellent. I am not saying don't get a Savage - I just don't have any experience with them. I would suggest that you get a rifle that the trigger can be worked by a gunsmith since proper trigger pull is critical to good accurracy. The gunsmith I use here in Georgia charges
$49.50 for a trigger job and his work is very good.The 308 is a great choice but there are others that work just as well - 7mm-08, 270, 280, 30-06. One last comment - buy the best optics you can afford. Good luck.

I have several different rifle configurations mod 700's,'98,sako and savage.For the money the savages are hard to beat.The ones I personally know of shoot great and aren't that expensive.Scopes are very important!

I would sugest the savages the are a gun you can keep for a long time and expect no problems.

I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST THE REM 710 I HAVE SEEN THEM ALOT IN MY OLD SHOP BEST DESCRIPTION J-(%K TO MUCH DEPENDING ON PLASTIC

CoyoteKid,

I don't know anything about actual prices of rifles in the US as I don't live there, but I do know that it's worth saving a little and buying something of better quality rather than rushing head first into some 'attractive' deal only to regret it later and have it cost you even more money.

I have never had a problem with a Win Mod 70. I had a Win Classic stainless in .270 (amongst others) and it shot three round sub moa groups with 130gn factory Power Points, let alone hand loads. I recommend that cartridge too for deer shooting as it's plenty flat shooting and has less recoil than the '06. Nothing wrong with a .308 either. Good luck!
smile.gif

I need some advice on a new deer hunting rifle. I am 14 years old and want "a little more gun" to deer hunt with.My first rifle was a .223 Browning A-Bolt.I've shot a 30-06 and am comfortable with the kick. I dont have alot of money to spend, but I would like a .308. I've looked at Savages, I want a reliable gun and i've heard that they are pretty reliable. Please send advice.

You can't go wrong with a savage Accu-trigger. I got one 4 yrs ago and my model 700's Rem 270 and 3006 set in the gun safe, that is when my grandsons and son aren't using them. LOL My model 10 is quicker to bolt and smoother, good safety, shoots a clover at 100 yds with 150 gr factory ammo, and that's with a hot barrel too. The magazine holds 4 +1... I have shot a 308 since I was 15 and I'm 64 now. It will take down any animal in North America. It's light and easy to carry, too. Savage has come a long ways with this rifle. For the price it can't be beat. :)

Now thats what I call a long lived post! This "kid" is now 21 lol. Not trying to start a fight or flame you hunterbob but I just saw the date and thought it was funny:)

My advice would be STAY AWAY from the Remingtons :) Get yourself a nice Savage or a Thompson Center Venture. I've had great luck with these (and Browning X-Bolts, but they can be pricey!).

Caliber-wise, you can't beat a .270/ .270 wsm for deer! But your .308 idea and 30.06 idea are good also.

Be careful; some of these guys on here will tell you that you can't deer hunt with anything less than a 50 cal...... gun)

Now thats what I call a long lived post! This "kid" is now 21 lol. Not trying to start a fight or flame you hunterbob but I just saw the date and thought it was funny:)

LOL!

I wonder which (if any) .308 he ended up with!

:)

Buy once cry once. Save and buy the rifle you want and know you will be happy with. Don't buy strictly on price point. If what you really want is out of your price range look at used rifles, local on line ads, shooting forums like this one, you just never know what you might find if you take a look. Think of it as a life long investment. I bought my first big game rifle when I was your age, a Rem Model 7 in 7mm-08, I've gone through a considerable number of rifles since but guess what, that old Model 7 is still in my collection. As for caliber I highly recommend something in the 6.5/.264 bore. Maybe a .260 if you are looking for a short action or a 6.5x55 Swede for a long action. Neither give much of anything up to the '06 with 140grn bullets and recoil is negligible. Unless you plan on hunting elk or bigger critters you don't need to beat yourself up with recoil to kill deer. Get something that will do the job and not kick you out from under your hair. In the long run you will become a better shot cuz you'll shoot more and not develop a flinch or other bad habit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.