New cva accura

JimFromTN

My nephew bought the new cva accura with the collapsible ramrod. It's a beautiful muzzleloader but I hate the collapsible ramrod. First, I hate that you have to carry the ramrod separately. 2nd, it fits together like tent poles and pulls apart very easily. A warning to anyone considering buying one that you need to be careful about your choice of bullets. Cva recommends powerbelts so that is what my nephew got. He bought some that I forget the model but when seated his second shot, the ramrod got stuck in the barrel and when he tried to pull it out the ramrod separated. We had to pull the breach plug and knock it out. What happened was the end of the ramrod is designed to handle pointed bullets and the bullet got stuck in the end of the ramrod.

I talked him into the accura because I have last years model and I love it. Don't know that I will buy another if the only option is the collapsible ramrod.

CVA has taken several wrong turns lately. Replacing the Accura MR and PR with these "X" models is definitely one of those turns. I have one of the MR-X after returning the first one due to a horribly sloppy bore (overbore and inconsistent). This one is a little better but hasn't been fired yet... may not while I own it.

One of their management staff declared on CVA Shooters group on Facebook that it was known the design of that rod is inadequate and an improved version would be forthcoming. That was stated some time ago now. And it probably won't be a free replacement.

Last edited:
The rod needs to be threaded so it won't pull apart so easily and the tip needs to be threaded as well to take different jags. Personally, I would rather they go back to the rod that slides into the rifle or at least offer the customer the option. Last thing I need is more stuff to carry separately and potentially forget it or lose it.

I've not experienced any of the issues mentioned with my Accura MRX 45 that I bought 6 months ago. Shoots sub MOA with .45 Powerbelt ELRS and 83 weighted grains of BH209. I converted to a different breach plug that allows me to run large mag rifle primers. Killed a little Coues buck last week at 307 yards. Ramrod works perfect with every bullet tested and it attaches to any pack or pant belt. Below is a 2 shot clean barrel and sighting shots. Adjusted and 3,4 shots are solid sub moa. These rifles like to shoot BH209 with a 3-5 shot fouled barrel. I've shot a few different Powerbelt bullets and the 285 ELR worked best for me.
A95DD011-7FC6-4FC4-867B-D686314A04C7.jpeg78952D8B-11C6-46BA-8775-25246ACA49E0.jpeg693758E6-99DD-4565-84B1-2E26BC61123C.jpeg

Wish I had looked this up on here sooner, just bought a new one and not impressed at all. Overbore is still and issue and the ram rod sucks. I'm using the PowerBelt as suggested and occasionally it starts to pull apart while pulling the rod back out and has pinched my hand multiple times. Mine is going back.

I've not experienced any of the issues mentioned with my Accura MRX 45 that I bought 6 months ago. Shoots sub MOA with .45 Powerbelt ELRS and 83 weighted grains of BH209. I converted to a different breach plug that allows me to run large mag rifle primers. Killed a little Coues buck last week at 307 yards. Ramrod works perfect with every bullet tested and it attaches to any pack or pant belt. Below is a 2 shot clean barrel and sighting shots. Adjusted and 3,4 shots are solid sub moa. These rifles like to shoot BH209 with a 3-5 shot fouled barrel. I've shot a few different Powerbelt bullets and the 285 ELR worked best for me.
View attachment 413169View attachment 413170View attachment 413172
does a large rifle primer burn hotter than a 209?

Yes, much hotter. It's a Large rifle magnum primer. Look at Arrowhead and Hankins rifle parts.

I use the Powerbelt ELR bullets and have not experienced any of the issues mentioned by others about the ramrod or being overbore.

Last edited:
The design of the ram rod is very poor. The elastic cord broke on mine. I ended up gluing it together. Otherwise, I have been pleased with the Accura. I don't shoot it much other than making sure it is dialed in for ML season. I bought a brick of 209 primers this year. I will be dead and gone way before I use all of them.

The recommended large rifle primer just burns more consistent. That's how the SD AND ES really close.

I did have a problem with my ram rod coming apart and also pulled the cap out of a bullet while loading a charge. Nothing that wasn't too hard to fix.

I noticed that some pack of the powerbelt ELR's shoot better than others. But I guess that's with all LOT sizes but once you get it dialed in that gun can really shoot good.

My cva is shooting sub moa out 400 yards right with out problem. The one thing I tried after a lot of research is the dirtier the barrel was the better it shot. I am running the 98grain of BH209 and I've gone as many as 30 shot's without cleaning the barrel. I know I couldn't even do more than 3 on my older muzzleloader.

What CVA do you have? Do you have a Acura MRX or LRX. What's your MV with that charge of 98gr of BH209? Is that 98gr by volume or weight?

A large rifle magnum primer runs much hotter than a 209 primer creating better ignition when running the BH209 powder.

Last edited:
Yeah but the MRX and LRX is not able to run that much powder. Barrel/Breech plug are not designed for those pressures. Your Paramount is also setup for smokeless powder if I'm not mistaken which runs much higher pressures. Bolt action vs break open action

None of the paramount are setup for smokeless only blackhorn . They will take alot of powder . I've had mine as high as 112 gr by weight in my paramount pro 45cal .
The issue with the inconsistent shots from pack to pack in the elr could be the skirt issue possibly it's known that they had an issue with inconsistent skirt width and it would cause poor groups.